Founded in 1994, Magnet Schools of America (MSA) is the national association of magnet and theme-based schools cross-country, representing nearly 4,300 magnet schools and almost 3.4 million students. Today, MSA sponsors conferences, technical assistance, awards, student scholarships, professional development, and leadership through the National Institute for Magnet School Leadership (NIMSL). Magnets are experiencing a renaissance as districts reconsider magnet schools as a means to attract new students, provide choice and innovation, and turn around low-performing schools. Based in Washington, DC, MSA is led by its Executive Director, Todd Mann, as well as its Board.
Our mission is to provide leadership for high quality innovative instructional programs that promote choice, equity, diversity and academic excellence for all students.
DIVERSITY is a cornerstone to offering students a global educational experience. Schools, through recruitment and lotteries, strive to have student populations that are reflective of the community. Culturally competent educational environments model empathy, respect, and working collaboratively with a variety of persons.
INNOVATIVE CURRICULUM AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT is developed to assure theme-based relevant instruction to students. Effective teaching strategies, emulating from best practices, are implemented through the inclusion of the schools theme. Curriculum is based on high quality rigorous standards that prepare students for higher education and career success.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE is demonstrated through a commitment to multi-dimensional instruction focused on the learner needs. Multiple assessment strategies are employed to monitor student learning, progress, and success. High expectations are clearly articulated and personalized supports are in place to address the interests and aspirations of all students.
HIGH QUALITY INSTRUCTIONAL SYSTEMS are rooted in well-prepared, well-educated professional educator. Teachers and administrators who are student-centered, collaborative, and inquisitive prepare learners to be world ready, workforce ready, and higher education ready.
FAMILY AND COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS are mutually beneficial, offer a system of support, shared ownership, and a caring spirit and are designed to enhance a theme integrated educational environment. Partnerships with parents are essential for a rich educational experience for students. Community partnerships include a diverse array of stakeholders including business, health and human services, and policy makers to support the education of all students.
MSAs Goals and Objectives:
- To promote goals of integration, equity, excellence, and the expansion and improvement of magnet schools.
- To encourage America's businesses to become actively involved in magnet schools and to support them both conceptually and financially.
- To encourage the federal government to finance magnet schools through competitive grants and programs and increase the amount of this support.
- To encourage the passage of legislation at both the state and national levels that will promote the development and improvement of magnet schools.
- To provide parents and community members information on the benefits of magnet schools as schools of choice.
- To act as a National Clearinghouse for information dissemination on magnet schools and promote legislative advocacy for magnet schools.