CNET Editors' review
Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder won't help you find your car keys or point you to the Easter Bunny's stash. But if you need to reinstall Windows and can't find your product key, it might be seem magical to you. This free utility retrieves your Windows Product Key (CD key) from your registry and saves it to a text or CSV file. If you need to reinstall Windows but don't have the Product Key because you lost the original CD or case, it can save your bacon, or at least a lot of your time. It works in most versions of Windows from 95 to 7. The latest release also supports Windows Server 2000.
We installed and opened Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. Immediately the program produced a dialog displaying four entries in the left-hand sidebar: our Windows version, Windows Information, Office, and our freeware firewall app. Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder displayed the data for the first entry, Windows, in the main view. The program correctly identified our version, 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. It also displayed Product Part Number, installation media, Computer Name, and Registered Owner (also Organization, where applicable). Best of all, it displayed both the Product ID and CD Key, with a match to CD Key data. We expected no less, but it's still a relief! But nothing like the relief we'd have felt at recovering those critical keys in time of need, and so easily, too. Anyone who has reinstalled Windows at 3 o'clock in the morning, after exhausting every fix, should be able to understand how we feel. The other entries showed similar data, only not as extensive. For example, our firewall only showed a serial number since we hadn't registered a name or company.
Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is an extremely simple tool that's just as easy to use. Basically, it has one trick, but it's a good one. A premium version, Recover Keys, adds additional capabilities such as Adobe compatibility, networked PC scanning, USB portability, and technical support. Most users will probably find the freeware takes care of business; if not, try the shareware. It's cheaper than replacing your broken Windows!
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0.8.
The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It has the options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping.
It works on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Office 97, and Office XP. This version is a quick update to make it work with Windows Server 200
What's new in this version: Version 22.214.171.124 includes unspecified updates.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Retrieve your product key or CD key of Windows installations.
- Find duplicated code within C, C++, Java and C# programs.
- Restore Windows OS & registry in less then 10.
- Backup and synchronize your folders automatically.
- Recover your Microsoft software CD Keys.
- Retrieve deleted, formatted, damaged, or corrupted disk partiti...
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- View live precious metal prices on your computer's Taskbar.
- Recover, decrypt Microsoft Windows and other product installati...
- Organize and streamline your use of system variables.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 88 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Better Do A Custom Install"
Version: Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 126.96.36.199
It did work.
Don't use express install. Snap.Do and Smartbar Search installed on the PC. It added 1168 malware,preference changes, registry entries etc. to a computer that I had just reloaded the OS. Thanks MJB, I'd like to rip your faces off.
I've used this before and never had a problem.
Updated on Feb 25, 2014