CNET Editors' review
Although some people are completely satisfied with the default Windows desktop interface, for others, customization is a must. Rainmeter (32-bit) is an attractive way to view system performance and a variety of other useful information--e-mail, weather, RSS feeds, and much more--right on the desktop. Casual users should beware, however; although it's not difficult to get started with Rainmeter, learning to fully utilize its features will take some time and geekery.
The program comes with two different themes, Enigma and Gnometer. Both of these are modular, transparent, and highly customizable. There is a wide variety of other themes around the Internet--an enthusiastic community of Rainmeter fans keeps them coming--so users who aren't crazy about Enigma and Gnometer can easily find other options. Features vary from theme to theme, but some common ones we came across include shortcuts to frequently used programs, clocks, calendars, notes, and news stories. Each theme can be reconfigured in a wide variety of ways, as each individual module can be dragged and dropped anywhere on the screen. All this flexibility is great for the hard-core Rainmeter user, but new users should expect a lot of trial and error, as the program definitely isn't as intuitive as it could be. The program comes with quite a bit of documentation, but even that doesn't really begin to describe what Rainmeter is capable of or how to use it. Overall, we think that Rainmeter is a great choice for users who like to geek out over customizing their desktops, but users who are looking for something that's easy and low maintenance will be frustrated and disappointed.
Rainmeter (32-bit) is free. It installs and uninstalls without issues, and we recommend this program to serious desktop customizers.
Rainmeter displays customizable skins, like memory and battery power, RSS feeds and weather forecasts, right on your desktop. Many skins are even functional: they can record your notes and to-do lists, launch your favorite applications, and control your media player - all in a clean, unobtrusive interface that you can rearrange and customize to your liking. Rainmeter is at once an application and a toolkit. You are only limited by your imagination and creativity.
What's new in this version: Version 2.5 added FileView plugin, new ClipString=2 setting and new ClipStringW / ClipStringH options.
More Products to Consider
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get an animated and alpha blended application launcher.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Manage up to 16 virtual desktops in an amazing 3D space.
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Customize your Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 logon screen.
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Empower your desktop with an expandable library of useful Custo...
- Access YubNub interface easily.
- Make eBrochures, eBooks, and other ePresentations, create quizz...
- Switch from a program to another.
- Turn your computer into a machine that understands you and take...
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 14 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: Rainmeter 2.5
low memory usage
none so far
Version: Rainmeter 2.5
I would recommend this to any one who's like 3Ds software
you can't go wrong with this.
no concern at all with this software