CNET Editors' review
Comfort Software's Free Stopwatch is, as its name suggests, a freeware stopwatch program that tracks time in hours, minutes, and seconds in increments of 0.01 second, or two decimal places. It can also keep track of laps, making it suitable for sporting events and similar competitions. With simple operation and precision timekeeping, it's useful in many other applications, too, such as the laboratory, workshop, and kitchen.
Free Stopwatch's rectangular interface can be easily resized and dragged around to suit just about any desktop. It displays the total time count in clear block numerals up to 24 hours (00:00:00.00) and the count for individual segments in a smaller display. This lets you repeatedly start and stop the counter and obtain an accurate count of each segment as well as the total time kept by the stopwatch. Other than two prominent buttons labeled Start and Reset, the program offers a menu bar with a Web-based Help file and a toolbar that lets you save data, copy it to the clipboard, or print it out. These options sound mundane but are critically important to coaches, timekeepers, trainers, and officials.
We clicked the Start button, and Free Stopwatch began to count the time, while the Start button became a Stop button and Reset became Lap. Pressing the Lap button saved the time below the counter as Lap 1 but didn't stop the stopwatch. Every time we clicked the Lap button, Free Stopwatch saved the lap time as Lap 1, Lap 2, Lap 3, and so on. Clicking Reset cleared the whole interface. The Options consisted of running at start-up, 13 interface languages, and a built-in metronome that ticks every second. However, it's mostly for sound effects since you can't change the beats per minute (there's no shortage of freeware metronomes, by the way).
It doesn't have a countdown mode or an alarm clock or any bells or whistles (beyond the metronome, of course), but Free Stopwatch certainly proved effective at timekeeping. Its large buttons and display make it a good choice for laptops and use in the field.
From Comfort Software:
A Simple and fast desktop stopwatch is always available when you need it. The timer counts in increments of 0.01 seconds. Free Stopwatch is used when time periods must be measured precisely and with a minimum of complications. Just tap Start to begin the count and tap Stop at the finish line. You can also tap a Lap button to monitor the times between laps. Free Stopwatch is suitable for timekeepers at sport competitions, laboratory experiments, time tracking of work.
What's new in this version:
- New: The "Stay on Top" option has been added for the main window and floating windows.
- New: The Full Screen button has been added for the main window and floating windows.
- Improved: Functions the Save to File and Copy to Clipboard are always enabled (active) now.
- Some other bug fixes and improvements.
More Products to Consider
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Split the time right into MS Excel.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Measure timing precisely with minimal complications.
- Set up lightweight countdown timer and clock.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Time things on your desktop PC.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Measure your time via fullscreen timer and stopwatch software.
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Manage your time with a stopwatch.
- Set up unlimited number of timers for your daily tasks.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Provide stopwatch application with countdown timer.
- Keep multiple time counters parallely and independently.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Get a stopwatch and countdown clock that can be activated by ho...
- Add a resizable alarm clock to your desktop with count down, st...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Add a simple stopwatch on your desktop.
- Add and remove features to your system.
All versions:4.8 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-5 of 5
Version: Free Stopwatch 2.7
A simple easy to use interface...looks just like it belongs. there when you need it. No blinking or adverts.
none for me
Just love this stopwatch...like ist sibling 'FreeAlarmClock'.
"Perfect desktop stopwatch!"
Version: Free Stopwatch 2.7
easy to use. Clean user interface that's nice to look at. Option to keep floating stop clock on top of other windows that's able to be resized to your desired size. It also keeps the hh:mm:ss visible in the task bar.Unlimited lap times are available.
I haven't found any cons to this.
I would recommend this.
"the software does isactly what it says it does."
Version: Free Stopwatch 2.7
it even has an overlapping counting window.
the only thing that could make this better would be to add an alarm feature and a timer feature. So that people can set it to play a sound of their choice at a specific time when it counts up to it.
Also I would like to see a countdown feature as well for future versions.
"Great for most anything"
Version: Free Stopwatch 2.5
Easy to use and more functionality than I needed but it is really cool.
None I've found
As far as stop watches go this one fits the bill. I'm a time freak and use it lots. With this I have timed things I don't need to time just to use it.
"Great Free Stopwatch"
Version: Free Stopwatch 2.3
Simple and Free
To large on the desktop
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content