CNET Editors' review
Comfort Software's Free Stopwatch is, as its name suggests, a freeware stopwatch program that tracks time in hours, minutes, and seconds in increments of 0.01 second, or two decimal places. It can also keep track of laps, making it suitable for sporting events and similar competitions. With simple operation and precision timekeeping, it's useful in many other applications, too, such as the laboratory, workshop, and kitchen.
Free Stopwatch's rectangular interface can be easily resized and dragged around to suit just about any desktop. It displays the total time count in clear block numerals up to 24 hours (00:00:00.00) and the count for individual segments in a smaller display. This lets you repeatedly start and stop the counter and obtain an accurate count of each segment as well as the total time kept by the stopwatch. Other than two prominent buttons labeled Start and Reset, the program offers a menu bar with a Web-based Help file and a toolbar that lets you save data, copy it to the clipboard, or print it out. These options sound mundane but are critically important to coaches, timekeepers, trainers, and officials.
We clicked the Start button, and Free Stopwatch began to count the time, while the Start button became a Stop button and Reset became Lap. Pressing the Lap button saved the time below the counter as Lap 1 but didn't stop the stopwatch. Every time we clicked the Lap button, Free Stopwatch saved the lap time as Lap 1, Lap 2, Lap 3, and so on. Clicking Reset cleared the whole interface. The Options consisted of running at start-up, 13 interface languages, and a built-in metronome that ticks every second. However, it's mostly for sound effects since you can't change the beats per minute (there's no shortage of freeware metronomes, by the way).
It doesn't have a countdown mode or an alarm clock or any bells or whistles (beyond the metronome, of course), but Free Stopwatch certainly proved effective at timekeeping. Its large buttons and display make it a good choice for laptops and use in the field.
From Comfort Software:
A Simple and fast desktop stopwatch is always available when you need it. The timer counts in increments of 0.01 seconds. Free Stopwatch is used when time periods must be measured precisely and with a minimum of complications. Just tap Start to begin the count and tap Stop at the finish line. You can also tap a Lap button to monitor the times between laps. Free Stopwatch is suitable for timekeepers at sport competitions, laboratory experiments, time tracking of work.
What's new in this version: Version 2.7 adds new translations of the UI into Bulgarian, Serbian and Japanese languages; fixes issue with storing setting.
More Products to Consider
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Measure timing precisely with minimal complications.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Time things on your desktop PC.
- Split the time right into MS Excel.
- Run Windows 8 Modern applications in resizable windows on your ...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Set up lightweight countdown timer and clock.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Track time in hours, minutes, and seconds.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Create and display multiple intuitive stopwatches.
- Start timer in countdown mode, an alarm clock, or a stopwatch.
- Keep multiple time counters parallely and independently.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Manage your time with a stopwatch.
- Set up unlimited number of timers for your daily tasks.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Measure your time via fullscreen timer and stopwatch software.
- Time different activities and get sound notification on complet...
- Turn your PC into a powerful and highly customizable alarm cloc...
All versions:4.8 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Perfect desktop stopwatch!"
Version: Free Stopwatch 2.7
easy to use. Clean user interface that's nice to look at. Option to keep floating stop clock on top of other windows that's able to be resized to your desired size. It also keeps the hh:mm:ss visible in the task bar.Unlimited lap times are available.
I haven't found any cons to this.
I would recommend this.
"the software does isactly what it says it does."
Version: Free Stopwatch 2.7
it even has an overlapping counting window.
the only thing that could make this better would be to add an alarm feature and a timer feature. So that people can set it to play a sound of their choice at a specific time when it counts up to it.
Also I would like to see a countdown feature as well for future versions.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content