CNET Editors' review
Even if you use an accountant or payroll company to handle your business' payroll needs, it's still important--and often legally required--that you keep payroll-related records yourself. Employee Payroll Template is a template for Excel that can help you keep track of this important information. It's not a payroll calculator, so if you're expecting something that will help you do payroll yourself, you'll need to look elsewhere. But if you just need a tidy way to keep employee payroll records, Employee Payroll Template fits the bill.
The template is plain and attractive, with a blue header across the top that contains the column names. For each employee, you can enter the employee ID, name, Social Security number, address, gender, occupation, and hire date. There are also columns for annual salary, hourly and overtime rates, overtime exemption, the number of federal allowances, the percentage contributed to a 401(k), insurance deductions, and any other deductions. A second page in the template lets you track payroll information for each pay period; for each employee, you can enter the number of hours worked, as well as vacation, holiday, sick, personal, and overtime hours. There are columns to record the gross pay and the amounts of various taxes and other withholdings, as well as the net pay. An online Help file explains how to use the template, although it's pretty self-explanatory.
Overall, Employee Payroll Template isn't something that most Excel users couldn't create for themselves, but since it's free, why not save yourself the trouble and check it out? It could be exactly what you're looking for to keep accurate payroll records.
The Employee Payroll Template, created by Vertex42.com, is a simple spreadsheet for Microsoft Excel. It was designed for employers that need to satisfy the recordkeeping practices required by various laws. The spreadsheet contains two worksheets. The Employee Payroll Information worksheet is for maintaining a record of employee payroll, benefits, and withholding information. The Payroll Register worksheet is for maintaining a record of payroll payments (including all the individual withholdings) and hours worked by each employee. The Employee Payroll Template is especially ideal for businesses that use an accountant or perhaps an online payroll system to manage the payroll calculations and reporting. The calculations for determining taxes and other withholdings can be complicated (and prone to error if you try to handle them yourself). So, instead of recommending that an employer use a spreadsheet to handle the payroll calculations and reporting, we suggest that you leave that to your accountant or online payroll system, and simply use this spreadsheet for recordkeeping (that is exactly what we do, and it works great). For more information about recordkeeping requirements or to download a version of this template for OpenOffice.org, visit the official author page (see the link in the spreadsheet).
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Manage payrolls in small to medium sized employers and payroll ...
- Manage the payroll for your small business.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Manage payroll and employee records, enter timecards, generate ...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Manage business and personal expenses, create invoices, create ...
- Organize payroll management for sub-contractors or out of compa...
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Retrieve, manage, and print your employees' payslips with ease.
- Pay for goods without having to handle cash.
- Calculate and record sales transactions, billing, and tax repor...
- Calculate payroll taxes, prepare payroll, and print payroll che...
- Simplify payroll input process and generate reports.