CNET Editors' review
If BBEdit is a time-honored king among text editors, then TextWrangler is a worthy prince -- always a short step behind BBEdit in features, but also always (amazingly) free. If you're looking for a word processor (i.e., something to create pretty or specially formatted documents), look elsewhere. But if you need to edit, search, and transform text and HTML, TextWrangler is a well-oiled and efficiently designed machine.
TextWrangler 4 catches this app up with Mac OS X Lion with an updated interface and preferences, as well as features like full-screen mode. This update also brings in many of the cool new features of BBEdit 10, such as the iTunes-like document bar and more options for syntax coloring. (Note that TextWrangler 4 will only run on OS X 10.6 and later.) We get the more-robust search capabilities of recent versions of BBEdit, too, and you can even search inside compressed files.
As always, TextWrangler comes packed with tons of developer-specific tools across multiple programming languages, and developers will love the ability to make easy (and now even more streamlined) use of scripts (Automator, AppleScripts, and Unix), differencing and merging, text folding, and regex-based replacing. In fact, devs may love TextWrangler so much, they just might end up springing for the full package of BBEdit, with its more-advanced features and authoring capabilities. For everyone else, TextWrangler remains a powerful tool and a terrific value.
From Bare Bones Software:
TextWrangler is a powerful and richly-featured tool for composing, modifying, and transforming text stored in plain-text files.
TextWrangler is a...
- General Purpose Text Editor
- Programmer's Text Editor
- Unix And Server Administrator's Tool
- Powerful Text Transformer And Manipulator
- Product Developed In The Best Traditions Of Bare Bones Software
What's new in this version: TextWrangler 3.1 introduces a new command-line tool, "twfind", which provides access to TextWrangler's legendary multi-file searching from the Unix command line. In addition, FTP/SFTP browsers now feature a "New" button allowing for the creation of new files and folders directly within the browser window. Further enhancements include direct management of attached menu scripts in the Menus preference panel, improvements to the Java and Python language support, new support for the ability to brow... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Use the information provided easier, using less time.
- Calculate your auto loan using variable rates, taxes, and other...
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 23 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Does everything I need and MUCH MORE"
Version: TextWrangler 3.1
Save as ?text only?
Too many features for my needs
"Woks fine - I use it mainly for HTML."
Version: TextWrangler 3.1
Does all I need.
A bit too large and complicated.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content