CNET Editors' review
If you're looking for a different, well-designed calendar for your Mac but still need the data saved in your iCal, then this resourceful calendar could be the right one. PreMinder for Mac allows importing and syncing of all important data and events from iCal and comes in a well-designed, multiwindow interface.
The program is free to try for 40 times, each with a duration of 24 hours; if you like it you can purchase a license for $19.00. The installation of PreMinder for Mac is simple and quick. The program occupies very little space, and it's stable and doesn't crash, although at the start the scrolling was pretty slow. The program features a well-organized, user-friendly, multi-window, and in some ways, customizable interface. There are many features worth underlining. First of all, you can import and sync your iCal info. You can also easily create your own alarms, events, and reminders and add small images and visual and audio alerts. Additionally, you can also define repeating events and choose text in different fonts. At the top-left corner, you will find an effective search box that can help you locate what you need in no time.
The user-friendly interface and many useful features make PreMinder for Mac a good choice for those who are tired of iCal but still cannot afford to lose all the info and events saved in it.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of PreMinder for Mac 1.7.4
From Alec Hole:
PreMinder is an easy to use calendar program. It features monthly, weekly, yearly and custom week views. You can store styled text and small images in your reminders, and set events to be a certain typeface or color. Other features include import and sync with iCal calendars (and by extension any devices such as phones those calendars are set to sync with), the ability to import birthdays from the Address Book, simple drag-and-drop multi-day spans (banner events), repeating events, multiple calendars and a fast search system. Alarms can be created for events which can be set to go off a certain amount of time before an event, or several times before an event, and they which can either alert you (Growl notification is supported), or send out emails or launch files or URLs.
What's new in this version:
- Added option to show first letter of day of week before date in the Year View.
- You will now not be prompted to allow PreMinder access to your calendar and contacts each time it opens if you are using OS X Mavericks. You will only be prompted to do this the first time you open a new version update of PreMinder.
- Various improvements, tweaks and other bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Create calendar events quickly and with little effort.
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Full-featured calendar and scheduling widget.
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- Export and import contacts, tasks, messages, folders between En...
- A place to store simple notes.
- List of all active shortcuts of the current application.
- Launch various computer components instantly with an iconized m...
- OneNote-style note taking and clipping app.
- Copies events on Meeting Maker to an iCal calendar of your choi...
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- Sync contacts and calendars with your Samsung phone.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Scientific and Programmers desktop calculator with variables an...
- Calendar, clock, notes, events, reminders timers, countdowns an...
- Simple alarm clock & timer.
- Organize and manage your finances and track your spending.
- Personal productivity software for professionals.
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Good conventional Calendar program"
Version: PreMinder 1.1.4
Displaying Anniversaries and Birthdays, computing the age from birthdate/anniversary date
Would like to print multiple months at one time, say from month/year to month/year.
I use it as a family calendar and not as a scheduler. I have yet to find another application at a reasonable price with all the features I am looking for.
"PreMinder is the best for Mac's"
Version: PreMinder 0.8.6
Ability to edit theme colors, add any event, add visual and audio alerts, owner contacts you directly if any reports are sent.
Absolutely nothing, as this program keeps improving.
I've been using PreMinder on my different Mac's since they launched. It is the most attractive, user-friendly calendar that exports directly to iCal (great for back-up, but never had to use). When used with Growl, one can set alerts for important dates and appointments. I've used PreMinder from Tiger OS X 11.4.8 through Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.1. Any and all glitches/bugs (I've had only one with Snow Leopard) reported are immediately fixed by the owner, Alec Hole. One can change the theme to just about any color and view. It's not only the best calender for Mac's, but it is also free. Alec must be a humble person, as I cannot find a Donate button anywhere.Correction: that should be Tiger OS X 10.4.11
Updated on Nov 1, 2009
"Better than ical"
Version: PreMinder 0.8
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
The GUI is much better in some ways than ical, which I never really liked. I can actually adjust the background and text colors, as well as modify the text so that certain events are easier to find and pop out better than ical.
Because there is a sea of numbers in the main window, at first, it is a bit distracting because it is not quite in the common wall calendar format that one is so accustomed to. Perhaps if this were slightly modified to match such, it might be easier to take in events at a glance.
Navigating inside the calendar is messy and this is the main weakness as for what I experience when I want to scroll back or forward from month to month. One can navigate using the large date tag in the upper left-hand corner but this is confusing because one is switching between working with different formats of information, which is a problem.
The "span" tool works but it is not apparent just what it does at first glance. Perhaps there might be a better way to make this more apparent than just clicking around with it as I did.
Importing ical events has some problems but I am sure the developer will work those out, thus I mention them in passing only.
A better program icon could only help (for the application).
This is a really good free-ware effort, IMHO. Well done.
"Like It A Lot!"
Version: PreMinder 0.6.7
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
Really enjoying learning and using this great app. One of the easiest PIM I've used. The ability to type in your notes and have the app recognize and assign clock times automatically to events and add them to your planner/scheduler is a nice feature. Also like the slider that lets you navigate to different months or custom set events a great time saver too.
To top off all this goodness is the built in Growl support. I can't emphasize enough how important this is. I hope more and more developers add Growl support to their apps!
Thanks for this great app and for continuing to develop it!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: