PaperScan Free Edition is an universal scanning software designed to offer power as well as simplicity of use. While most scanning applications are dedicated to one scanner or one scanning protocol, PaperScan allows you to control any scanner, including network scanners (TWAIN or WIA protocols), cameras or acquisition cards. All features are automatically negotiated and handled by PaperScan. PaperScan Free Edition can scan and and import ten pages, save as single page PDF/A, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, JBIG2, PDF Encryption support, and flatbed and document feeder support.
What's new in this version: Version 126.96.36.199 has provided image layout support for TWAIN and fixed minor bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert Adobe PDF file to MS Word file format.
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Create, view, edit and share word, spreadsheet and presentation...
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- View and print PowerPoint presentations.
- Convert your PDF files into various image formats.
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Process documents and save them in various formats.
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Prepare stunning presentations, save them on cloud, and share w...
- Organize your important events, journals, notes, and contacts.
- Create and track quotes, invoices, and credit notes.
- Create invoice templates and quotes and purchase orders.
- Track, graph, and report on the performance of your investment ...
- Convert image files to PDF documents.
All versions:2.4 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Excellent considering this is freeware"
Version: PaperScan Free Edition 188.8.131.52
It works with WIA and TWAIN scanners. I used WIA for my quick evaluation. I like ability to set color-mode, paper-size and resolution one time only, and thereby more rapidly scan multiple pages.
Freeware similar to two commercial versions: a Home Edition & Professional Version. The Home Edition is free to students. I encourage students to evaluate this app (this app has document management tools superior to my version of Adobe Acrobat).
During my brief search I found several freeware apps -- all inferior to PaperScan (FreeScanner, DeskScan, iCarbon, PaperArchiver and iCopy).
The only bugs I found were with the file save (or perhaps save-as) commands, however I quickly learned how to work around these bugs.
On 1/13/2012 I spent several hours searching for a good freeware "General Purpose" Scanner Application, where "General Purpose" means that it works with all WIA and/or TWAIN scanners. I wanted software to replace the poor software that came with my HP 4470c Scanjet (purchased several years ago).
I found this excellent freeware application. It works with WIA and TWAIN scanners (I use the WIA option). It is a limited version of a commercial application, which often results in a good and reliable application. What I like is the ability to set the color-mode, paper-size and resolution one time only, and thereby more rapidly scan multiple documents. The only bugs I found were with the file save commands, however I quickly learned quickly how to work around these bugs.
It is similar to their two commercial versions: a Home Edition and Professional Version. The Home Edition, which permits scanning to a multi-page document is free to students. I would encourage students to evaluate this application, because PaperScan also includes many document management tools that are actually superior to those found in my version of Adobe Acrobat (Version 8 Standard).
During my relatively brief search I found several freeware applications, however none of these applications can compare to PaperScan, matter-of-fact I deleted all of them because of their limitations and/or defects which for me rendered them useless. These other applications: FreeScanner, DeskScan, iCarbon, PaperArchiver and iCopy. I was also often directed to Free Kapture 2.0, but I wasn't able to download and test it. There are also other applications that I unwantedly discovered while looking for freeware that are actually trialware, e.g., Scan2PDF, etc. As such I was very glad to find PaperScan.
To overcome inability to create a multipage document (a freeware limitation) you can use pdfsam (PDF Split And Merge Basic) to merge results (an open-source freeware application).
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content