CNET Editors' review
Office users who have been waiting for browser-style tabs need wait no longer, thanks to DeTong's Office Tab Free Edition. It adds Web browser-like tabs for displaying multiple open files in one window to Office 2003, 2007, and 2010. The tabs do more than display multiple documents, though. They also enable enhanced file browsing, management, and editing. It adds Workbook Tabs for Excel, Document Tabs for Word, and Presentation Tabs for PowerPoint. The fully functional add-ons are free to home users. The paid upgrade includes some advanced features that are unavailable in the freeware, though.
Office Tab's installer lets users choose whether to associate the add-on with all or any of Office's tools. While Office Tabs works inside each individual tool, the Office Tab Center serves as a control console for each add-on's settings, which include General & Position and Style & Color options. The Help button opens the program's Web page, which offers numerous resources, including tutorials. Making changes required us to reopen our Office apps. We started with Word. The most noticeable change was the addition of the tab bar, which displayed our open document and a button to open new tabs and can be positioned above or below the workspace. These tabs worked just like browser tabs, and we could click on any tab's label to access a full menu of choices. We clicked Office Tab on the toolbar to access the Favorites and Options on the ribbon, including a button to show and hide the tab bar. We could also open the Office Tab Center, add tabs to Favorites, and organize the Favorites list. In addition to shortcut keys, we could also reposition documents on the tab bar by dragging and dropping them. Office Tab also adds functionality, such as the ability to open new documents and close or save existing ones with various mouse clicks.
Office Tab adds very similar functionality to Excel and PowerPoint, with app-specific options. The browser-like features Office Tab Free Edition adds to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are so useful that we recommend this free add-on to all Office users.
From Detong Technology:
Free Office Tabs - Tabbed Browsing, Editing and Managing for Microsoft Office 2003, 2007 and 2010. It works with all editions of Office: Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional Plus, Professional, Standard, Home and Business, Home and Student. Unlike web browsers -- Internet Explorer 8, Firefox or Chrome, Microsoft Office does not use a single window to hold multiple files for viewing and editing. The product lines of Office Tab improve the ability of MS Office, and bring the tabbed user interface to Microsoft Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 (include Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Save all documents in one click. Easy determine which file has been changed, which has been saved: Office Tab will mark these modified documents or workbooks with an asterisk (*) in their names to indicate the modified documents or workbooks (except in PowerPoint).
What's new in this version: Fixed som bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Show classic toolbars and menus in Microsoft Office 2010 and 20...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Integrate Microsoft Office with Google Docs.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Bring tabbed user interface to Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 201...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Monitor information on target Microsoft Office Communicator use...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Add tabbed editing user interface to Microsoft Office 2003, 200...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Read the CBR files.
- Extract JPG files from DSLR RAW format.
- Find tools and command items on word.
- Find tools and command items on word.
- Crop, resize, and convert image files to icons on your Windows ...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 15 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Will not install on my Windows7 Pro 64 bit system"
Version: Office Tab Free Edition 9.51
I used the previous trial version and was very pleased.
I receive an error message immediately upon install:
This application has requested Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
The application is great, but as you can see I am unable to use it. I would use ZERO stars if that rating were available...When I download files, I always save them with a name that is recognizable. I found that changing the name precluded the install. Using the download file name did produce an installation.
Updated on Nov 30, 2013
I am not pleased that I get a "Pester dialog box" wanting to upgrade that I must cancel every time I want to use the Office Suite.
It installs, it works, it pesters every time...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content