CNET Editors' review
If we told you that Tomatosoft's Free Ico Converter converts image files like JPEGs into ICO files, would you think that was cool? Suppose we said Free Ico Converter lets you convert images into an icon you can use in Windows? We thought that would get your attention! ICO is the Windows icon file format. Free Ico Converter converts JPEGs, GIFs, PNGs, or BMPs that are 256x256 pixels or smaller into ICOs. It doesn't install new icons in Windows; rather it creates the image files you need to replace existing icons or use in new applications. We ran Free Ico Converter v1.4 in 64-bit Windows 7.
Free Ico Converter's download included numerous additional apps (they pay the bills), which we declined due to test restrictions, though one includes a tree donation for gentle persuasion. Free Ico Converter is streamlined, which translates into fast and easy to use. We could add files by dragging and dropping or by browsing with Select File(s) or Batch Mode buttons. Multiple files can be packed into one ICO file, too. There's one option, Always on Top. Free Ico Converter's 256x256 pixel limit can be a bit of a pain since you can't tell image dimensions by file size. In the end we had to resize images just to avoid the program's error messages. But Free Ico Converter did finally convert a 35KB JPEG into a 56KB ICO.
Free Ico Converter is a fairly specialized tool that works fast but requires some preparation, especially for batch processing. We wish it handled larger images or let you select portions (maybe with a preset tool), but then resizing images is the easy part. Converting them into icon images is Free Ico Converter's job.
Free Ico Converter can be used to convert image files to ico format. It supports all the main image formats. It's an all in one ico converter and can be used as: png to ico converter, jpg to ico converter, jpeg to ico converter, gif to ico converter, bmp to ico converter. You can design your icon image in your favorite tool and then use this Free Ico Converter to convert into ico format, very convenient. To get started you can click "select file" button to select the file and click on "convert" button to start conversion or simply click on the convert button (it will detect if you already have a file name in the text box and will prompt you to select a file if haven't). The converted file will in the same folder as the original file.
Features: 1. Drag & drop supported; 2. Always on top option to be used as an always ready converter; 3. Automatic file name collision detect and rename to avoid overwrite; 4. Option to open the folder of the converted file; Download free now and start using it.
What's new in this version: Version 1.4 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Convert image files to ico format.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Turn BMP, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TGA, TIFF, and PCX files into Windows...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Convert your photos into various image formats.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Merge images to PDF and convert from JPEG, JPG, BMP, GIF, forma...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Convert your images between various formats.
- Create PDF files from images.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Convert and modify batches of image files in different format.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Convert a single PNG file or several files from the command lin...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Convert a single TGA file or several files from the command lin...
- Batch convert AFP to images in various formats via hot folder o...
- Generate real time on-fly Dynamic Composite Images for .NET App...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Ico Converter 1.4
Converts different types of image format in to ICO format in an easiest and quicker way. Output quality of the image is quite good.
Using this tool it is not possible to convert large size image file into Ico format. Only one image at a time can be converted into ico format.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content