CNET Editors' review
You know the TV ads for prescription drugs that warn of side effects "including blindness or death?" Something similar can happen when you forget the wrong birthday. That's why Google Calendar is one of the most popular Google Apps: People all over the world rely on it to remind them of those birthdays and events it's unwise and even unhealthy to space out on. Google Calendar Windows Client is a free tool that lets you use Google Calendar without opening Chrome or any other Google application. You still need a Google Account to use it, though.
Google Calendar Windows Client is portable freeware, so it runs from any folder or directory without needing to be installed, even from portable devices such as USB drives. Most of the time, this tool sits in the System Tray, displaying pop-ups as needed, though it also has a compact calendar view that hugs the notification area when it's open. This compact window displays a scrolling calendar in the top half and selectable Events beneath. Three buttons fill out the view: Refresh, Hide, and Preferences. We opened the program's preferences, which included a choice of calendars to display, basic housekeeping like pop-ups and offline mode (including a wise warning never to save offline files on a public computer) and an About page with an update link. The default list of holidays includes everything from Mother's Day and Tax Day to Cinco de Mayo, though we could add, edit, and delete as may different calendars as we cared to from the Preferences page. We could also send calendars to Outlook and export them as vCalendar files.
The only fault we could find with Google Calendar Windows Client is the misspelling of "Discard" as "Discart" on the button to discard changes made to the Preferences. It's hardly worth mentioning. We're surprised we couldn't change the program's background color, too. But there's always room for improvement, and Google's always changing things too. If Google Calendars helps keep you out of trouble, try this free tool: It just might help you avoid certain complications!
A small "Green" (and portable) Windows client that can retrieve events from multiple Google Calendars, and display them on your PC. No installation needed, simply extract the .zip file and run the executable. Configure your own calendars, and press the "Refresh" button. Once the information is retrieved, it can be saved for offline use when your internet connection is not available. There are no minimum requirements, this application will run fine on Windows XP to 8. Additional features include popup reminders, and the ability to export individual events to Microsoft Outlook or to any vCalendar compliant application, and to display the QR code for events for quick-add to your mobile device.
What's new in this version: Now features an improved and wider event list, and the ability to generate QR code for events for quick-add to your mobile device.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Synchronize your Outlook Calendars and Contacts with Google.
- Move any Palm calendar into Google Calendars, MS Outlook, iPhon...
- Synchronize your Outlook calendar with your Google Calendar acc...
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Set a customizable calendar as your wallpaper.
- Use multiple computers to input, view, and edit calendar events...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Compress your Personal folders in Microsoft Outlook to make it ...
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Synchronize Palm applications with Palm Desktop and Outlook.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Work with your documents, check e-mail, or surf the Web, all fr...
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Utilize a Microsoft Outlook workgroup features without a server...
- View and access Team Member appointments and calendars easily.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: