CNET Editors' review
Although users with a solid grasp of financial management basics will get the most from this freeware program, GnuCash proved to be a capable tool for personal and small business accounting.
This freeware program's interface is bland but functional, and presents itself in a way that will be familiar to users who do their banking online. Various holdings (anything from checking accounts, to CDs, stocks and any other form of investment) are listed in a tree along the left side. Selecting an entry displays further details in a larger pane. At the top of the screen are various commands for actions, reports and tools. We found it a simple process to view spending reports, reconcile checking accounts, and other tasks.
Despite the overall simplicity of using the program, the sheer number of terms and actions may require a dictionary for some people. Fortunately, GnuCash has an excellent tutorial that outlines not only the program, but also financial terminology as well. And novice users will appreciate the wizard that walks you through the setup process.
GnuCash is an ongoing project and this isn't the latest release, but the developers warn that the 2.3 series is not stable and is for testing only, so stick with this earlier version. If you're overwhelmed by the number of personal accounts you're trying to manage, or you're trying to keep your small business on track financially, GnuCash is freeware you should try.
From The GnuCash Project:
GnuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting software, freely licensed under the GNU GPL. It uses a check-book like register GUI to enter and track bank accounts, stocks, income and expenses. GnuCash is designed to be simple and easy to use but still based on formal accounting principles.
What's new in this version: Version 2.4.10 uses an SQL database using SQLite3, MySQL or PostgreSQL.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Create spreadsheets, analyze and share information.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Use the information provided easier, using less time.
- Recover lost and forgotten passwords from password protected VB...
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 37 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Ya great for organizing your finances."
Version: GnuCash 2.4.10
Everything is there but with a poor interface. A better paid version you can get here with a discount http://dess.me/Gnu
None so far other than the interface.
Good software but should be developed continuously to increase performance.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content