CNET Editors' note: The download button opens the iTunes App Store, where you may continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed with an active iTunes account in order to download and install the software. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
A lot of people don't realize that browsing the Web on your smartphone can be just as dangerous as browsing the Web on your PC. Your phone is just as susceptible to malware as your computer. GetCocoon is a browser for your phone that offers you a layer of protection. However, we found its performance spotty, and the lack of privacy options for unpaid members left a lot to be desired.
When getting started, you have the option of logging in with a username and password, or selecting the Browse Without Logging In option. We selected the latter option, only to be taken immediately to a screen that required us to create an account, so there's really no way around creating an account. Once logged in, the main Cocoon page appeared with a search box to enter our keywords in. There are banner ads that appear at the bottom of your screen, which is kind of annoying, especially if you have sloppy tapping techniques, but, hey, it's a free app.
Below the ad is your navigation bar, which includes backward and forward arrows, a share button for e-mailing links, and a new-page button. Tapping the icon that looks like an infinity symbol brings up other nav buttons, and this is where you want to go to adjust your privacy settings, but only if you're ready to pony up $19.99 for a year-long membership. If not, you're mostly stuck with what the app gives you. The only options we could change were the logout timer and the Block Facebook Tracking feature. On top of that, browsing with GetCocoon was at times extremely slow. There were even times when we could not pull up a particular page -- the wheel in the URL bar just kept spinning until we had to get out of it and get back in to search.
All in all, we found GetCocoon to be more trouble than it's worth. And we really have no idea if it actually protected us while browsing, because nothing appeared telling us if certain sites were blocked or if we were visiting a safe page. We recommend skipping this app.
From Virtual World Computing:
GetCocoon is the most private and secure way to browse the Internet on an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. Avoid tracking, identity theft and viruses with this easy to use app. Cocoon makes every connection to the web SSL, secure, encrypted. Be protected and secure even on open WiFi and cellular connections. Access your history, favorites, form-fill data and logins whether you are on your mobile device or desktop. You control your encrypted data on the Cocoon cloud, accessible only by you.MAIN FEATURES- Blocks Ad Tracking- Anti-Virus Protection- SSL encrypted Web connections- Anonymous Browsing- Identity Protection- Anonymous Email Addresses- Encrypted Browsing History
What's new in this version: Bug fix for iOS 6.0 landscape modes.
More Products to Consider
- ++ World's most popular VPN with over 100 Million downloads wor...
- I'm a little "just for fun" hobby developer and this is my firs...
- What's new in this version: The function of WEBDAV is enhanced ...
- Simplify your mobile life. Let Dolphin do all the work so you d...
- Calculate your loans on your iPhone.
- WiChat is a fast, full-featured Bonjour IM client designed for ...
- +++300MB VPN data for FREE!+++Superfast Gigabit Tier-1 network+...
- Keep your notes and ideas in an elegant way.
- Replicate and Synchronize your files across multiple computers.
- CloudOn brings Microsoft Office to your iPhone & iPad and links...
- NumPad Remote transforms your iPhone, iPod Touch or even your i...
- ECCTV DVR Rmote Viewer Lite Version.
- Manage your budget easily and efficiently.
- If you are a homeowner who wants to monitor your additional pay...
- Take your notes from OneNote with you.
- IPassSafe Protects Your Most Sensitive DataSupports iPhone, and...
- Take your notes from OneNote with you and sync them with Dropbo...
- Tencent QQ is an instant messaging tool that lets users keep in...
- Keep tabs on your weight with "KepTabsLite", weight loss suppor...
- Protect all of your data.
- Protect your privacy and security while surfing the Web with Mo...
- Have you ever participated in a random drawing? Or been so unde...
- TAP INTO YOUR TAX REFUNDDo your taxes from your iPad and get yo...
- Record important days in life using your iPhone.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great on public Wi-Fi w/ my laptop"
Version: GetCocoon 1.0.5
*mailslots (no spam)
*no tracking (better online privacy)
*Password Manager needs lots of work...
I use Cocoon often when traveling and when using public Wi-Fi. It works for me and I especially appreciate malware protection. I've been a part of Cocoon since beta testing days and really like the direction that this privacy/Internet security add-on is moving toward. Anyone who knows me online - knows that I believe in "layered protection" when surfing the Internet - and Cocoon offers that.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content