CNET Editors' review
Foxit PDF Reader, the program that many consider to be a faster, lighter, more able Windows alternative to Adobe Reader, has recently jumped to version 5.0. This newest release comes with many of the same solid features, a few new ones, and an upgraded interface.
As with the previous version, the setup process is a bit cumbersome. First, watch out for the two check boxes that make Ask your browser default search provider and Ask.com your home page. Opt out as necessary. Then, toward the end of the installation process, be sure to read carefully and opt out of the Addin for Mozilla FireFox, Opera, Safari and Chrome--unless, of course, you're into bloated toolbars. Once you make it through the installation gauntlet, the rest should be smooth sailing.
The new Foxit Reader 5.0 interface is a bit sleeker than in previous versions. It still has clean, easily distinguishable icons, and the toolbar is still customizable. In addition, you can now choose your color scheme (black, blue, orange, purple). It's not ground-breaking, but it's a nice touch. You can also choose a new ribbon-style menu and customize your own shortcut keys.
Foxit Reader 5.0 still includes many of the useful features that its rival, Adobe Reader, doesn't. There's tabbed PDF viewing, text-only view, rulers, Safe Mode, and several annotation tools for things like highlighting and commenting. Meanwhile, 5.0 has added a few conveniences that give it an extra edge, including XFA form filling, support for Microsoft RMS-protected files, and previews in Outlook.
Overall, we think the new Foxit Reader is a worthwhile download. While it may not be perfect--it can't create PDFs, and it pesters users with add-ons and upgrades--it's still a solid alternative to Adobe Reader.Foxit Reader - Open, view, and print any PDF file- Download Video Previews:
From Foxit Software:
Foxit Reader is a small, fast, and feature rich PDF viewer for Microsoft Windows, which allows you to open, view, and print any PDF file. Unlike other free PDF readers, Foxit Reader also includes easy to use collaboration features like the ability to add annotations, fill out forms, and add text to PDF documents. Foxit Reader is an application with a small footprint that starts up instantly, renders PDF files quickly and uses very little memory. Foxit Reader is packed full of convenient and easy to use viewing, editing and printing features that make document collaboration simple. Foxit reader's secure platform insures worry free operation. Distributed free of charge, and widely available for download from partner sites worldwide, Foxit Reader provides an excellent alternative to the Adobe Reader on any computer running the Windows operating system. View, print, and collaborate easily using Foxit Reader.
Foxit Reader provides integration to DocuSign, allowing users to easily send, sign and save PDF documents and forms using the industry's most widely used eSignature solution. New users can sign up for DocuSign services. Existing users can log into DocuSign to sign and send PDF documents and forms quickly and easily from the Foxit Reader toolbar. Microsoft SharePoint and Active Directory Rights Management Service Integration.
What's new in this version: â?¢DocuSign Integration Foxit Reader provides integration to DocuSign, allowing users to easily send, sign and save PDF documents and forms using the industry's most widely used eSignature solution. New users can sign up for DocuSign services. Existing users can log into DocuSign to sign and send PDF documents and forms quickly and easily from the Foxit Reader toolbar.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert Adobe PDF file to MS Word file format.
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Create, view, edit and share word, spreadsheet and presentation...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Convert your PDF files into various image formats.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- View and print PowerPoint presentations.
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Process documents and save them in various formats.
- Keep your profiles ranking rising day by day.
- Manage named ranges in Microsoft Excel.
- Convert files among PDF, DOC, TXT, RTF, and HTML formats.
- Manage content with over 50 language translations.
- Add source and raw data based on templates.
- View, print, and export PDF files.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 1,819 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"LATEST VERSION PROBLEMATIC"
Version: Foxit Reader 5.4.2.0901
Was a great reader......was!
Since installing the latest version I've been getting runtime error r6025 when opening folders containing more than 1 pdf file. Uninstalled latest version, installed version 5.1.4.0104 & opened the same folders & got no errors.
Sometimes newer is NOT BETTER.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content