CNET Editors' review
With Evernote being the 800-pound gorilla of online notes, there isn't much space for a new app to compete. Catch Notes takes a novel approach by giving you a simpler experience with tons of control over its features. It's worth trying, but might not be enough to get you to switch from your current favorite note-taking app.
Since the app syncs your notes over the Web, it requires an account to use. You can log in to it through Facebook or Google for an easy setup, though. If you do, your notes stay private and aren't shared over Facebook unless you share them. The app lets you lock your notes with a passcode, too. You can organize your notes into one of five categories that you create. If you want more categories or to go over the 40MB storage limit, you have to subscribe or refer your friends to the app, a la Dropbox. Catch Notes doesn't just borrow from that app; it's heavily inspired by Evernote. It differentiates itself by allowing you to color-code your notes and change the color of the app's menus. It also features a cool widget that you don't have to download separately.
Catch Notes does a good job of borrowing ideas from your favorite apps and making them into something new. The space restrictions might ruin it for some who take a lot of notes. If you're willing to accept the limited space in return for a cooler, more flexible layout and widget, then Catch Notes is worth downloading. But if you're already using a note-taking app that you love, this probably isn't game-changing enough to win you over.
Catch is a free app designed to make sure you never miss an idea. It lets you capture ideas and discoveries across all your devices and when you're ready, turn your ideas into action with friends and colleagues using simple, mobile collaboration. Easily create new notes with text, voice or images, online or offline. Add multiple voice recordings and multiple images to any note. Scan product barcodes to capture gift ideas. Email notes in by sending them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use browser extensions to save URLs and web discoveries. Collect your notes into personal spaces for future review. Use inline #tagging to organize and find your notes easily. Automatically backup notes for free across all Android devices and on the web with secure sync to Catch.com. Passcode protect your notes with a 4-digit PIN. Filter notes by chronology, multiple tags, priorities. Dive into personal spaces as you develop your ideas. Create shared spaces for secure, private collaboration. Invite friends and colleagues to contribute their own content.
What's new in this version: - Choose the color of new spaces when you create them. Use color to organize, or just match your mood.
- Adds in-app subscription and billing support for easy upgrades.
- New notes in shared spaces are highlighted in the note list until read. New photos, checklist items, and comments are also highlighted within the note view until read.
More Products to Consider
- Take note and remember everything, compatible on multiple devic...
- This is the most advanced WiFi hacker resource for WiFi hacking...
- Droid NAS allows you to share folders over a Wi-Fi network, mak...
- Best Cache Cleaner.
- Create text, voice and paint notes and organize them into folde...
- Extended version of GO Launcher, one of the most popular home a...
- Kill unnecessary apps and running tasks.
- Evernote Food helps you remember the food and meals you love.
- Print anywhere from any Android tablet or smartphone.
- Send your photos as real, printed postcards.
- This application allows you to access to WhatsApp without modif...
- Create, delete, and modify notices on your Android device.
- Your WiFi speed is low? Speed it up by using our WiFi Booster! ...
- Mobile Banking BRI is a secure and convenient sms-based mobile ...
- Write notes, email, message, shopping lists and todo lists.
- Create notes on your Android device and share them.
- View and manage your contacts on your Android device.
- A free app that helps you communicate visually with friends, co...
- Save what you love, organize it into smart notebooks, collabora...
- Unlock your phones true potential w/ Root Tools by JRummy16 *Ro...
- GO SMS Pro Free Message Plugin, enables you to send free messag...
- Give yourself reminders for today, but make it really easy to p...
- Free, simple, fast online meetings. Share your screen instantly...
- This app will boost your WiFi and Internet speeds on all your d...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:3.7 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"So Far So Good... No Win PC Desktop?"
Version: Catch Notes 5.2
I've had this application for a week now and it seem to do what it claim to do. Seems practical for on the go notes jotting down.
I enjoy being able to add a voice memo while driving when needed.
The lack of a Windows desktop companion make it a bit impractical whereas you will need to either create an "application shortcut" if you use Google's Chrome, but that means you are still bound by having to be connected to the internet.
Will continue using as a test application for now. Maybe I'll figure out a way to use it in an off-line way and to take quick notes from my desktop. Until then, the Jury is still out.
"Convenient and Useful to a point"
Version: Catch Notes 5.2
I keep my medications in C Note. It allows me to simply hand the Nurse my smartphone at appointments rather than maintaining those little cards they want you to keep. The addition of cross platform use and cloud backup makes the experience even better.
This last update added a lot of functionality, but it also lost me in how to do a simple edit. I tried to make a quick update at the doctor's office, but instead I had to take the time to sit down and learn the new way of doing things. Complexity went way up in what used to be a rather simple to operate app.
It is getting complex to the point of being far more than what I want. 80% of its functionality I don't need, or want. Still I have been using this app for a few years now and across several smart phones, and it works. Just wish they would keep it simple.
"One of the most useful cross-platform apps I've found!"
Version: Catch Notes 5.2
Have access to notes, quick sound notes, picture notes, bar-code notes, lists, and collaborative spaces from any platform that can access the internet. Smartphone, Laptop, Desktop, Tablet, ANY computer. Very simple, clean interface that has never crashed on me. Very easy to link to a Google login without having to create and remember a separate password for Catch.
Very few. Wish there were some way to give some average-user help to Catch without having to get the Pro subscription. I wish there were browser and windows add-ons to right click and 'add to Catch'.
I use catch for lots of things. Here are some scenarios:
-- we all use Catch at work to save and update our plethora of logins and passwords for different systems. Password changes on one system, make note of it in your Catch smartphone app, and it's instantly updated when you look up your Catch account from the desktop down the hall.
-- I have my #fishing, #sailing, #hiking, #camping gear lists tagged so that when I pack for these things, I can quickly look to see what I've forgotten.
-- Sitting at work, in traffic, in bed, wherever and remember what I need on my #shoppinglist, I can jot it to the list and it's saved!
-- Christmas List: who I want to buy for, what I want for them, if I've bought it already, and if it's been wrapped. From any platform, anywhere you are.
-- Leave yourself a quick voice note, or record a quick sound from any source.
-- set notes to go off as an alarm and remind you of something, rather than setting an appointment on your Google Calendar.
Love the app and Catch notes! You will too! Very useful for someone who needs to jot down a note and doesn't want a note pad hanging from his shirt pocket!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content