CNET Editors' review
Individuals, small business owners, and others who need to use PDFs often find themselves between a rock and a hard place; the PDF tools they need are just too expensive. Fortunately, more and more freeware alternatives are putting good, basic PDF utilities in the hands of such users before they're forced to pay big bucks for big-box programs. Altarsoft's PDF Reader is a fine example. It's not a full-fledged PDF solution; it doesn't create PDFs, for instance, but it does display and edit them. It's not flashy; it's just a free tool for viewing and editing PDFs. It can open, display, and save PDFs; encrypt and decrypt them; add watermarks, thumbnails, and attachments; merge and split documents; insert images, text, and blank pages; and more. PDF Reader is compatible with Windows versions from 98 to 8.
PDF Reader's user interface is clean and efficient, with just enough color to make it visually interesting but not enough to dispel the businesslike appearance. Easy-to-read icons made navigating and zooming a snap. From the Tools menu, we could Add, Convert, Extract, Insert, and Split documents in various ways, including converting images to PDFs. The Views menu accesses optional Preview and Attachment panels we could toggle open or leave closed for a cleaner look. We tend to take it for granted that most users looking for PDF utilities have some experience with PDFs, though that's not always so. But PDF Reader's menu bar, toolbar, and layout shouldn't be difficult even for new users to manage. Experienced users will probably be able to start right in with the program. We did just that, opening a series of test PDFs we keep for just such a purpose. PDF Reader rendered the documents as well as any of the premium products we've seen, and essentially as well as our system's graphics could manage. Saved files were fully compatible with Adobe and other PDF apps.
Altarsoft's PDF Reader is an overachiever. It does an excellent job at what it does -- and it actually does more than we expected. If you're looking for an alternative to the usual PDF tools, give it a try.
From Aleksei Taranov:
Program for viewing and editing PDF files. Main Features: - open / save pdf files; - zoom in / zoom out; - rotate page; - encrypt pdf file; - decrypt pdf file; - add annatations; - add bookmarks; - add watermarks; - add attachements; - covert images to pdf file; - merge file with another pdf file; - merge pdf documents; - insert blank pages; - insert pages from pdf file; - insert text from text files; - extract selected pages; - extract images; - extract text; - split doc into single pages; - split doc into images.
What's new in this version: Software becomes freeware.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Read PDF documents in 3D, convert Word & Excel files to PDF, an...
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- View and print PDF documents.
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- View PDF files, convert PDF to HTML, PDF to text, and PDF to Wo...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- View and digitally sign your PDF documents.
- Create PDF files out of any application.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Open, display, print of PDF documents, fill and save forms.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Edit PDF documents just like using a word processor.
- Open over 80 different file types like PDF, RAR, ZIP, DOCX, PPT...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Open and view PDF files using multi-page viewer with zoom and f...
- Split your PDF files with ease.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"I downloaded it and install malware."
Version: Altarsoft PDF Reader 1.2
The PDF editor is very simple. Just open PDF and can add watermarks, but i cannot edit text of PDF. Nothing remarkable.
When ran install, installed "Search Protect by Conduit" app. also mMoved start page of Firefox, install one addon and other apps in my system. Cannot uninstall with windows. Removed with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
I am very surprised by the good evaluation of cnet