What is NRC?
The NRC or the National Register of Citizens was first prepared in 1951, as part of the Census of India. Those whose names are found in the NRC are qualified as the citizens of India.
Their name appears in the NRC of 1951
Their name appears in any electoral rolls up to the midnight of 24th March, 1971
Their name appears in any document issued upto the midnight of 24th March, 1971, proving their presence in Assam on or before 24th March, 1971.
A two day convention, was held on the 11th and 12th of July, 2018 at Kolkata on the Assam 'D'-Voters issue. The event saw participation of more than 5000 people on the first day. A round table session attended by about 150 intellectuals, including senior advocates,
To support people declared 'D'-voters by providing legal aid and support.
2. To publish legal guides and booklets in Assamese and Bengali Language.
3. To provide better coordination between like minded
1. Transfer all the cases to another state.
2. 'D'-listed voters should be given time for appealing in higher courts and should not be arrested.
3. Free legal assistance should be provided to the poor 'D'- Voters who are under detention.