CNET Editors' review
UnThreat Free AntiVirus 2012 is a free antivirus software solution from AVSoftware. It uses the popular, well-received VIPRE antivirus engine, and offers basic protection from viruses, Trojans, rootkits, malware, adware, and other threats, including e-mail protection and antispyware protection. UnThreat Free is based on a premium tool that includes a firewall and other extra features. The freeware omits those and other bells and whistles, and it doesn't need them. Its chief recommendation is the VIPRE engine, which has tested well against a variety of threats and has generally been available only in premium AV software, until now.
When our download finished, we disabled our existing antivirus software before installing UnThreat. Some freeware AV tools will work alongside the competition, and some won't. As with many other AV tools, UnThreat's installation process requires a reboot. A simple, well-designed user interface more or less says "antivirus software," and the only thing notable is the grayed-out entries for the disabled features: Firewall, RoadWarrior, and Web Guard. We started with the Quick Scan, which turned up two low-risk adware bundlers. Clicking View Details confirmed that the items weren't a threat, but we sent them to their doom by selecting Delete from a drop-down menu and pressing the Clean button. In addition to the Scan field, we could view our Scan History and Active Protection History and access the Quarantine Manager. Of course, no AV solution worth its name would omit a system tray icon, and UnThreat doesn't. The tray icon's menu let us disable UnThreat's active protection, check for updates, and start scans. A tree-based Settings sheet offered a surprising number of options, including scheduling, proxy settings for updates, shell extension scans, and excluded files and folders. The Help file is extensive and detailed.
Free antivirus solutions have gotten so good that the premium tools have to offer tons of extras to justify the cost. The popular free versions tend to be safe choices, and safe recommendations, too, thanks to instantly updated threat lists that millions of users rely on. With no-nonsense controls, essential features, and strong protection, UnThreat Free AntiVirus 2012 joins their ranks.
From Scandium Security:
Without an AntiVirus your PC will get infected in a matter of minutes. UnThreat Free AntiVirus offers basic protection against viruses, trojans, rootkits, adware, spyware and worms. Active protection prevents them at the time they appear with latest "on-access" technology. The e-mail component scans all e-mails for attached viruses or other malicious content.
Features: Antivirus - The highly effective Anti-Virus engine is built to instantly scan, detect and remove viruses, trojans, worms as well as other suspicious or unknown threats that reach your system through attachments, downloads or removable storage devices. Active Protection - This is on-access component monitors all processes and files, and warns you of suspicious activities. Antispyware Protection - The anti-spyware component detects malicious software that may have been installed to track you or gather and steal sensitive information. E-mail Protection - The e-mail protection component scans all emails, incoming and outgoing, for attached virus and other types of threats.
What's new in this version:
- Version 6.2.37:
- New and improved installer
- AntiVirus Engine improvements
- Full compatibility with Windows 8
- Improved performance and stability
- Bug fixes
More Products to Consider
- Guard your computer against malware, phishing schemes, and viru...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Add another layer of security with Web Guard and the RoadWarrio...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Keep your files safe without slowing down your computer system.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Stop the toughest viruses and spyware and block the cleverest i...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Install silent protection from viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer with antivirus, antiphishing, and social ...
- Keep your business safe when e-mailing or going online.
- Protect your PC from viruses, worms, and Trojans.
- Get a protection against viruses and hackers.
- Fight every threat with proactive defense technology.
- Surf, bank, and shop online without interruption.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 58 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"UnThreat Is Amazing"
Version: UnThreat Free AntiVirus 2013 6.2.37
Uses Sunbelt GFI engine and sigs. Meshes very well with other programs, OSs, software. Not a bit buggy - smooth as silk.
Doesn't have the Viper url filter but you can use WOT extension for the same results.
Excellent protection, just take a look here:
"Best Free Antivirus Out There!"
Version: UnThreat Free AntiVirus 2013 6.2.37
After using used several different antiviruses, I have found this one to work more efficiently and perform consistently better than the other ones I tried in the past.
When my computer boots up, I receive a full screen message stating my computer is protected. This should be in the form of a small popup in the taskbar.
Great antivirus protector, and it's free!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content