CNET Editors' review
NativeWinds is an interesting software developer based in the mountains of Western Montana; its Tomahawk Gold is an interesting word processor that does a lot in a small, affordable package. It combines many of the essential features found in Microsoft's Word, like quick formatting and advanced editing, with the ability to create and save PDF documents. It handles other documents, too, and includes Mail Merge, network compatibility, and 15 language versions.
Tomahawk Gold's zipped executable is accessible immediately after extraction, with no installation needed. You can download the Help file separately, as well as extras such as a thesaurus. This interesting program from an interesting company has an interesting interface, too, that's quite different from the norm. Styled somewhat like a media player, it's dominated by the main display, a blank, ruled window with tiny arrows that expand sidebars, an efficient and refreshingly different design. The File buttons call up clearly labeled, icon-based menus, including a Tools menu packed with useful extras like a calculator, a wizard-based chart editor, spreadsheets, and a scratch pad feature that we found particularly useful. Tomahawk Gold supports Word 2007 documents but not previous Word versions, a disappointment, but it does support OpenOffice and other formats natively.
Tomahawk Gold's full-featured trial version puts a watermark on saved images. It's a compact, portable, and efficient word processor that combines a useful selection of tools and features in an easy-to-use package that stands out from the crowd. It's certified for Vista and "newer operating systems"; we tested it successfully in Windows 7, too. Highly recommended.
Tomahawk can be used to edit RTF, TXT, XML, CTD, and TMD. It has built-in support for 15 languages. It also features chart wizard, mail-merge, live spell checking, tab stops, and network compliant. Tomahawk can be used as an advanced editor for rtf, txt, xml, tmd, ctd (our own formats) and other file formats. Convert files to other formats. Import documents and convert to PDF. Save to formats include RTF, TXT, HTML, PDF, TMD, CTD, PDB, and XML.
What's new in this version: Version 4.5.1 added 2 new skins, option for text fields to autosize as you type, and improved XML compatibility and handling.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Split, join, and e-mail any file for Windows.
- Create PDF files from various files.
- Batch convert AFP to PDF, PS, XML, HTML, RTF, TXT, BMP, PNG, JP...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Convert RTF and TXT formatted files to PDF documents.
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Count words in documents and manage the results.
- Create PDF files from any Windows application, convert PDF file...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Transform VMG Files into various document formats.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Count lines in documents and manage the results.
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Extract text, tables, and graphics from PDF files.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Convert PDF, RTF and TXT files to images for reading them in th...
- Convert word doc/docx, html, rtf, text to PDF, PNG, JPG, TIFF, ...
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...