CNET Editors' review
Without a decent program to manage it, doing payroll can be a serious pain. Unfortunately, Payroll 5 could not by any stretch be called a "decent program." Although there's nothing functionally wrong with it, it has some serious deficiencies when it comes to basic features.
We knew we were in trouble when we first saw the program's logo, which consists of a dopey-looking cartoon guy with a goatee. This graphic is more befitting of an avatar generator aimed at tweens than a professional payroll application, and every time we look at it we're a little more perplexed. The program's interface consists of a single screen where you can add new employees, set up pay rates and deductions, and enter vacation or sick leave. Actually using the program to create a timesheet--or payslip, as the program calls it--is fairly easy; we entered the necessary information for our imaginary employee and viewed the payslip by clicking Print. Everything took a bit of trial and error since there's no Help file, but it wasn't too difficult to figure out. When we viewed the payslip, however, we were puzzled to find that the program publisher's name and contact information were displayed prominently across the top, as though the payslip were that of any employee of Kandawognon Business Solutions, the creator of Payroll 5. There didn't seem to be any way to change this, and that's a deal breaker for us; who wants to create timesheets with the name of someone else's company across the top? With some revisions Payroll 5 would be a decent program for simple payroll needs, but we can't recommend it highly in its current form.
Payroll 5 comes as a ZIP file and installs and uninstalls without issues.
From Mictusoft Solutions:
Payroll 5 is a payroll management tool designed for the small business owners. This will help you manage your employees' payslips with ease. It easily calculates taxes and other employee deductions. Leave days taken and its corresponding dates are also available for further reference.
What's new in this version: Version 5.0 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Simplify payroll input process, print checks, and generate repo...
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Print checks, generate reports, and calculate withholdings for ...
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- View and edit JPEG files.
- Calculate payroll taxes, prepare payroll, and print payroll che...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Manage, print, e-mail, and view your photos.
- Manage payrolls, checks, forms, and reports.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Store and manage your passwords.
- Register and monitor tasks assigned to employees.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Monitor usage of a workgroup printer, set printing limitations,...
- Calculate payroll taxes, print paychecks, print tax forms for s...
- Keep track of your employees' working time.
- Manage and retrieve information and records.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: