CNET Editors' note: Download.com has removed the direct-download link following the publisher's request and offers this page for informational purposes only.
CNET Editors' review
Data loss is never a matter of if, only when. Fortunately, options for backing up data abound, and they no longer involve remembering to sit down and hook up an external hard drive. Nomadesk is an easy-to-use program that lets users not only back up their data to a secure server, but share data with other users as well. Now you can collaborate and protect your files with one simple utility.
Nomadesk has an intuitive interface that makes it easy to get started. Users can create accounts--safe spaces to store data in the cloud--and file servers, which can be shared with other users. Accounts and file servers show up in Windows Explorer as virtual drives, so adding files is as simple as saving to the desired location or dragging and dropping. We set up a file server and had no trouble at all inviting a friend to use Nomadesk and then share files with him once he'd installed it. The program even includes a clever Theftguard feature, which lets users report stolen computers and remove access to Nomadesk files from that computer. Although most of Nomadesk's features are pretty easy to figure out, the program comes with a well-written Help file that contains plenty of screenshots. Overall, we think this is a great choice for users who work collaboratively and frequently need to share files, but it's also a simple solution to backing up data for just about everyone.
Nomadesk installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program to all users.Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of Nomadesk 4.0. The trial version is limited to 30 days.
Millions of people risk losing their unprotected, critical data every day. As the amount of unprotected data stored on multiple devices increases, it becomes harder to synchronize and easier to lose. Nomadesk allows individuals and teams to secure, sync, share and backup data with no limits or change in behavior, giving them access to their files when working online and offline. Nomadesk's virtual drives acts just like a hard drive, storing important documents in one place with remote access. Users simply drag and drop their docs into the virtual file server, and files are immediately encrypted, backed up and available for file sharing. For added protection, Nomadesk's Theftguard technology protects content stored on mobile devices, allowing users to remotely shred important docs in the event of theft or lost hardware while keeping the data neatly tucked-away in the Cloud, in addition to tracking stolen or misplaced devices on Google Maps.
What's new in this version: Version 4.6 is a bug-fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Replicate and synchronize anytime you need.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Mirror, synchronize, and back up your files between portable st...
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Make automatic backups, compression, encryption, synchronizatio...
- Synchronize folders, detect renames, find duplicates, and perfo...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Take control of your business network.
- Synchronize and backup your files or folders with a lightweight...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Simplify your digital life with a secure wireless network tuned...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Simplify the synchronization of data between your PC and a port...
- Get a backup and synchronization tool.
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"not working without problems on windows 8"
Version: Nomadesk 4.6
Unlimited storage is great and under windows 7 Nomadesk worked w/o problems.
Keeps rebooting windows 8, I hade to unable automatic start.
"Will not work on Windows 8!"
Version: Nomadesk 4.6
Worked great on Windows 7
Stopped working with Windows 8. Customer support poor.
The company had months to get Nomadesk ready for Windows 8. I let them know 6 weeks before Windows 8 came out that it was not working. They did not warn users not to upgrade. As of this date, it still does not work. When asked to refund what I had paid, they said no. Think twice about using this product.