CNET Editors' review
Surveyors, environmental impact researchers, historical impact researchers, cell-phone tower site locators, and real estate developers--these are just a few of the folks who will find real value in this nicely featured application for plotting maps based on survey or GPS data.
Metes and Bounds launches a large window with a row of icon-buttons along the top, a vertical pane with some data controls on the left side, and a large drawing and editing pane taking up most of the window's real estate. A Drawing Wizard automatically opens at launch to prompt the user for the type of drawing he or she wants to develop. The interface design isn't jazzy or overly colorful, but it's very functional and clearly marked so even novice users will quickly understand how to navigate its features. This app performed very well during our tests, and we were very pleased with the features it offered. Entering latitude and longitude was a snap. We particularly appreciated the robust feature set for creating a variety of plots and the editing functionality for manipulating the completed drawings. We liked how we could devise multiple layers for overlapping plots based on latitudinal and longitudinal data or GPS data.
Metes and Bounds includes a link to a series of online tutorials that are nicely designed and fully informative for any novice users getting up and running with this tool box. Likewise, the Help feature is very thorough. The "Unregistered" watermark on the drawing pane may aggravate some users, but that's a minor quibble. The price should be sweet enough for anyone needing to rely on this sort of tool on a frequent basis.
From Sandy Knoll Software:
With Metes and Bounds, turn Metes and Bounds data into a plot map. Perform calculations such as square footage or acres. It includes auto-completion for those incomplete surveys. Enter measurements in feet, meters, and rods. It supports curves, multiple layers, and GPS waypoints. Metes and Bounds will calculate if the survey closes or not. Features include auto-completion of drawing, multiple measurement types, layers, automatic labeling, create custom labels and backgrounds, background pictures, and split a single plot into multiple plots.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert Adobe PDF file to MS Word file format.
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Create, view, edit and share word, spreadsheet and presentation...
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- View and print PowerPoint presentations.
- Convert your PDF files into various image formats.
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Process documents and save them in various formats.
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Prepare stunning presentations, save them on cloud, and share w...
- Organize your important events, journals, notes, and contacts.
- Create and track quotes, invoices, and credit notes.
- Create invoice templates and quotes and purchase orders.
- Track, graph, and report on the performance of your investment ...
- Convert image files to PDF documents.
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Nearly useless teaser for the commercial product"
Version: Metes and Bounds 4.2
It is easy to use to create a map.
The free version won't let you save a map or print it. I expect that when the thirty day trial period is over, I will lose any work I've completed.
How could anyone recommend this? Assuming that a one star review means less than worthless, and should be reserved for software containing viruses or other malware, I award this product two stars.
"Works OK but free version has definite limitations."
Version: Metes and Bounds 3.4
Clean, relatively straightforward interface.
Not as intuitive as advertised. Choices don't allow one to create all necessary boundary shapes.
Perhaps the paid version is more flexible, but since the free one was not full-featured enough to me to map just the metes and bounds of my property, I'm not inclined to send them money in hopes that the paid version allows me to finish the job.
Version: Metes and Bounds 2.8.2
easy to use
cannot perform exceptions
"This product gave me the results that I needed for a report that I was writing."
Version: Metes and Bounds 2.2.
I would have to wait till I finished the entire imput to see if the boundaries were in the right direction. Could not adjust as I was going along.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content