From The Document Foundation:
LibreOffice is a free, open-source personal productivity suite that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. Support and documentation is free from our large, dedicated community of users, contributors and developers.
Writer is the word processor inside LibreOffice. Use it for everything, from dashing off a quick letter to producing an entire book with tables of contents, embedded illustrations, bibliographies and diagrams. The while-you-type auto-completion, auto-formatting and automatic spelling checking make difficult tasks easy (but are easy to disable if you prefer). Writer is powerful enough to tackle desktop publishing tasks such as creating multi-column newsletters and brochures. The only limit is your imagination.
Calc tames your numbers and helps with difficult decisions when you're weighing the alternatives. Analyze your data with Calc and then use it to present your final output. Charts and analysis tools help bring transparency to your conclusions. A fully-integrated help system makes easier work of entering complex formulas. Add data from external databases such as SQL or Oracle, then sort and filter them to produce statistical analyses. Use the graphing functions to display large number of 2D and 3D graphics from 13 categories, including line, area, bar, pie, X-Y, and net - with the dozens of variations available, you're sure to find one that suits your project.
Impress is the fastest and easiest way to create effective multimedia presentations. Stunning animation and sensational special effects help you convince your audience. Create presentations that look even more professional than the standard presentations you commonly see at work. Get your collegues' and bosses' attention by creating something a little bit different.
Draw lets you build diagrams and sketches from scratch. A picture is worth a thousand words, so why not try something simple with box and line diagrams? Or else go further and easily build dynamic 3D illustrations and special effects. It's as simple or as powerful as you want it to be.
Base is the database front-end of the LibreOffice suite. With Base, you can seamlessly integrate into your existing database structures. Based on imported and linked tables and queries from MySQL, PostgreSQL or Microsoft Access and many other data sources, you can build powerful databases containing forms, reports, views and queries. Full integration is possible with the in-built HSQL database.
Math is a simple equation editor that lets you lay-out and display your mathematical, chemical, electrical or scientific equations quickly in standard written notation. Even the most-complex calculations can be understandable when displayed correctly. E=mc2.
LibreOffice also comes configured with a PDF file creator, meaning you can distribute documents that you're sure can be opened and read by users of almost any computing device or operating system.
What's new in this version:
- General Features
- Load and Save ODF documents in flat XML to make external XSLT processing easier*
- Load and Save ODF documents in flat XML
- Make license information accessible via the Help menu*
- Make license information accessible via the Help menu
- Made on-line Help available on-line, via the WikiHelp*
- Made Help available on-line via WikiHelp
- Added "Experimental" mode, to allow users to test out as-yet-unfinished features* ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Process documents and save them in various formats.
- Convert image files to PDF document.
- Carry out your writing work while having access to multiple doc...
- Read and write data in different formats.
- Create invoices and delivery notes for various purposes.
- Create invoices and delivery notes for various purposes.
- Convert your PDF files into various image formats.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 15 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Poor interface; bad performance; great functionality."
Version: LibreOffice 3.3
Decent support for office tasks and Office files, for free. And it's been 'Cocoa native' (for speed, not looks) for a few years.
Takes a very long time to start and to load documents, and the interface is almost hostile. It's like Office before the ribbon, but without everything being where you've learnt it to be from years of using Office before the ribbon.
I'm never quite sure whether this or IBM Lotus Symphony (which comes from a similar source tree in many respects) is the better free office suite, but either one should allow you to become productive without spending any money. The difference between them and commercial products like Pages is obvious, but forgivable.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content