CNET Editors' review
Just Checking is an incredibly easy-to-use program that lets users keep track of checking account transactions. Although it is not as full-featured as the big-name personal finance programs, it's a good choice for users who need a lightweight program to manage their checking accounts.
The program's interface is attractive and very intuitive. All of the program's features are arranged with graphical buttons across the top, making it incredibly easy to find what you're looking for. It's easy to add, edit, and delete transactions, as well as search for them. The program's built-in Help file is well-written and does a good job of explaining the program's features. Overall, we found the program very easy to use, and we were adding transactions within moments of opening the program. As for features, there's nothing here that really blew us away, but the program does the basics and does them well. We were relieved to see that Just Checking does allow users to import data from other programs, including QIF and OFC files. Users can also print checks from Just Checking, which is a nice feature to have. Although users who are looking for a feature-filled alternative to programs like Quicken won't find it with Just Checking, it is a great choice for users who just need the basics.
Just Checking is free to try but has a 20-transaction limit in the trial version. The program installs desktop icons without asking and leaves a folder behind upon removal. We recommend this program to all users.
From Brent Shelton:
Just Checking takes the pain out of balancing your checking accounts. Manage multiple accounts. Always view your actual and bank balance. Import transactions from Quicken or Microsoft Money files. It features advanced sorting and filtering. Print checks including check number and signature.
What's new in this version: Version 3.19 has enabled JPEG Support in Check Template Editor and fixed download update dialog.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Create spreadsheets, analyze and share information.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Use the information provided easier, using less time.
- Recover lost and forgotten passwords from password protected VB...
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 22 votes
Current version:2.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"not powerful enough"
Version: Just Checking 3.19
free to try
cannot make "memo" reports (even though it says it's able to); auto-fills are not very friendly; entry fields are separate from the checkbook-like field, which creates an extra step.
glad to have the opportunity to try it; unfortunately i won't be buying this.
"Seems unstable in Windows 7"
Version: Just Checking 3.19
Ease of use.
In my experience, transactions are not always saved and tool functions did not work (colors). I uninstalled and reinstalled the program with no improvement. In my opinion, the uninstall is a bit messy with several files remaining here and there.
If it works for you, it's a nice program. The instant you buy it, whether or not you are satisfied, you own it. I requested my money back from JustApps and was told they do not do refunds and that the product works fine in Windows 7. They offered to troubleshoot my issues. I elected to change to another program.
"Great software for tracking your expenses"
Version: Just Checking 3.19
Easy to use, Intuitive interface, low price
I would like to be able to customize the interface more
After recently switching back to a Windows PC from Mac OS X, I had to find a new software to help me keep track of my checking account transactions. I was using iBank which did the job very well, albeit it had more features than I needed. After trying countless apps for Windows I finally stumbled upon Just Checking. I am amazed how great this little app works! It's simple and I understood how to use it within a matter of minutes. I don't need an app that shows me pie graphs of how much money I have or how much money I should spend, I just need one that will let me track my expenses, plain and simple. For $14.95 you can't beat Just Checking. One thing I would like to change would is the ability to customize the layout of the transactions. For instance, I would like to be able to bold the Name and Amount of the transactions so they stand out better. However this is a very small caveat and will not keep me from recommending Just Checking to everyone I know.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content