CNET Editors' review
Google Voice for iPhone has been a long time coming, and we couldn't be happier that it's finally here. As fervent Google Voice users, we find the app provides mostly easy and straightforward management access for Google Voice, much more conveniently than did the Web app that preceded it.
Four screens display a menu, a dialer, your contact list, and the application settings. Fittingly, the menu is the base camp for sorting and managing your voice mail by in-box, texts, and various other filters. The in-box displays your list of voice mails and text messages. From here, you can view a voice mail transcription or play back your contact's recorded message. Tap the contact's name to call, text, add to quick dial, or show the contact's details. Pull the entire page down with your finger to manually refresh the list.
You'll be able to reach out to contacts from the dialer and the contacts list, either by searching for a contact's name or by entering a number. The dialer helpfully lets you choose to call or text a number. Unfortunately, an icon in the Dialer that looks like it should cause your contact search list to pop up didn't work on several iPhone 4s we had in-house.
The Contacts list has an interesting feature that's unique to the iPhone version of Google Voice; it's called Quick Dial. Google has made it easier to prioritize your favorite contacts by letting you assign some to Quick Dial--these buddies surface to the top of a list, just above another list of recently used numbers. You can tap over to another screen to select from your full list of contacts.
The Quick Dial feature does a good job of surfacing frequently dialed buddies, and push notifications of missed calls, incoming texts, and new voice mails are key.
That said, Google Voice for iPhone still shows signs of being a first-generation app. We received duplicate texts to our iPhone's native message in-box and to Google Voice's texting in-box. Exposed routing numbers that Google uses as the pathways of its VoIP Voice empire were also confusing. Other niggles frustrated, too, like a broken icon in the Dialer that appears as if it should open the address book, but doesn't do anything.
We would unquestionably recommend the app to Google Voice users, but beware, there are still some loose ends that could be better tied.
Access your Google Voice account right from your iPhone. Receive push notifications for new text or voicemail messages. Send free text messages to U.S. numbers and make international calls at cheap rates. Listen to your voicemail, read transcripts and manage your Google Voice inbox. Display your Google Voice number as caller ID when making calls. Call contacts from your iPhone Address Book or enter new numbers on the dialpad. A Google Voice account is required to use this app. To sign up go to www.google.com/voice. Google Voice is only available in the United States on iOS 3.1 and above.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
- Manage your mobile phone through a PC.
- Open over 100 different file extensions including DOCX, PPTX an...
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Eliminate your credit card debt and consumer loans using popula...
- Transcribe audio recordings and control audio playback with a f...
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Record, store, and manage contact information.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Finally the WAIT IS OVER!!!!!!!!"
Version: Google Voice for iPhone 22.214.171.1246
Simple,Crystal Clear Sound.CHEAP..Long distance CALLS.
Not Much SO far..
The Year Long wait is Finally OVER...it's a Great App, but by no means it is A VOIP but comes damn Close to it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content