CNET Editors' review
Folder Vault is a fine file and folder locker by most definitions, thanks to its abundant style and security. It will keep your private and sensitive files away from even the savviest prying eyes, provided you're good at making secure passwords.
When starting Folder Vault for the first time, you'll be asked to create a secure password. Once you set your password and log-in, the program welcomes you with a nifty animated interface that does a neat opening and closing animation every time you open it. You can drag and drop files and folders right into the main window for convenience, or find the ones you want to hide from the conventional upload menu. Once your files are inside the program and set as "locked," you can't see them from Windows, which is a big boost for security. The only way you can see your items is to manually unlock them when you have the program running, or set the program to automatically unlock all items when you log in using the Settings menu. In addition, you can also set the program to automatically lock all items when you log off, as well as change the log-in password. Without knowing your Folder Vault password, it would be impossible for anyone to see items you've hidden, which makes this app a good solution if you need to hide important or more sensitive documents, pictures, or videos from anyone else who has access to your PC.
It's a shame that Folder Vault isn't more popular, because it delivers on its promise to get your files under lock and key. It's extra secure and will protect your files from snoops free of any charge.
From Gear Box Computers:
Folder Vault file security program to lock, hide, encrypt, and password protect files & folders in the blink of an eye. One master password will protect files, folders, and drives from being viewed, deleted, renamed, removed or accessed. Encrypt, lock, and hide folders, files, pictures, and documents. Folder Vault has features such as Stealth-Mode, run the software completely hidden. Advanced security features allowing to hide & lock your folder(s) and files from Windows, Dos and even Safe Mode. Encrypt files, lock folders in your Vault with AES encryption, standard adopted by the U.S. government. Other features include: Auto Lock, Shutdown PC, Erase recent documents history, Empty Recycle Bin, Clean Internet Explorer History, Clear IE Address Bar, Erase IE Temporary Files and Cookies, password to uninstall Folder Vault, and Hide from Add Remove Programs. Changes Stealth Mode hotkey, adds context menu to Windows Explorer.
What's new in this version: Made hiding of folders faster. Bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Get all in one portable folder locker for Windows.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Replace the regular Windows Explorer with a dual panel file man...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Hide your private folders from others.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect folders, hide files, lock applications, and restrict ac...
- Prevent unauthorized access to your folders.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 27 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"A great security layer"
Version: Folder Vault 3.0.1
Simple, elegant UI and easy to use
None at all
The idea behind Folder Vault is at once simple and elegant. It removes icons of your folders and files and locks them behind a password. When a folder or file is in the vault, its icon will not show at its normal location (such as My Documents). When you open the vault and unlock the file, it reappears in its regular directory. I love the UI, which shows metallic vault doors opening and closing as you lock or unlock your files within. This is a great and simple layer of security...just create a complex password for the vault and don't forget it!