CNET Editors' review
This privacy tool comes with a lot of different options for locking your desktop; however, we encountered a glitch with its virtual desktop feature.
Desktop Lock has an easy to use interface that consists of three straightforward buttons, one for locking the computer, one for configuring your settings, and another for activating your virtual screen. The lock options let you choose what to display when the desktop is locked, such as hiding windows or leaving everything in view. From there, you can also set your hot key combinations for locking and unlocking the program. You also can easily enter banner text to appear when the desktop is locked. When we clicked the lock button, our desktop was instantly locked, and only displayed what we permitted. Our chosen hot key combo reversed the command and our desktop was quickly back to normal. The virtual desktop is password-protected, and although we able to successfully enable it, we were never able to access any of the files and applications that we chose to make available.
The program comes with a reasonable 21-day trial, but with the problems we had with one of its primary features, we can't give it our recommendation. It cleanly uninstalled from our computer without any traces.
From TopLang software:
Desktop Lock is a computer security protection and access control software product, you can use it to lock computer to prevent people from accessing your private documents and resources. When the computer is locked by Desktop Lock, none can access your documents, browse your computer, or use programs on your computer. You can lock your computer by one click, or let Desktop Lock to automatically lock your system at any time or when system becomes idle. You can customize the appearances of the locked desktop with the options provided by Desktop Lock. Desktop Lock also supports hotkey to lock the system.
What's new in this version: Version 7.3.1 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Lock computer to prevent unwanted access with Virtual Screen to...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC from unauthorized access by locking keyboard an...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Access all Novell data without a network setup or cabling.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Control multiple computers with one keyboard and mouse.
- Set an icon, background image, and description for your folders...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Control Web access and removable media devices on your PC.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Prevent unwanted users from gaining access to your PC.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Track and quickly relaunch your most recently run programs.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Lock, secure, and restrict usage of your computer.
- Lock your desktop, log access attempts, and let your visitors l...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Tweak Windows-based computers.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Good program so far"
Version: Desktop Lock 7.3.1
Very handy for limiting access when you leave your computer with others.
Easy to understand, and customize
21 day trial was a bit short.
Can't launch some programs, if they are active outside the virtual desktop
I work at a camp with kids, and this program comes in handy when I leave the computer for playing music. So now I know I can launch the virtual desktop, with access to spotify, allowing the kids to snoop around spotify, but disabling access to internet and of course my private folders. Of course I can also access internet browsers on the virtual desktop, but only with a password.
"Good product, but lacks few common things"
Version: Desktop Lock 6.1.12
This product is very easy to configure, I tried it with my windows XP. I liked its simplicity; it’s very very handy.
It will not hide window taskbar for god sake on the Virtual Screen mode, or if you try "Auto-hide your taskbar" on taskbar properties before launching virtual screen, then you can't reach back to put your password, you have to shut down your pc manually and re-start. And if you launch yahoo messenger or some program from your virtual screen, don’t bother to minimize it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: