CNET Editors' review
We love you, Download.com users, but we don't love you enough to take our laptop outside and see if Anti Mosquito actually works. Oh, we would if we thought there was a chance that it might actually keep mosquitoes away; they are the bane of our existence during the summer, and even as we write this we are trying to avoid scratching the multiple bites that we currently have. But do even the most basic research on this topic and you'll find that there's no evidence that programs or devices that emit sound do anything to repel mosquitoes or other insects. It would be wonderful if they did, but science tells us that this is wishful thinking.
What we can tell you about Anti Mosquito is this: when you install it, you're also asked to install RealPlayer. You can install Anti Mosquito without RealPlayer, but if you're not paying attention during the installation process, it's easy to give your permission for this without realizing it. Call us cynical, but we think it's entirely possible that the kickbacks that the creators of Anti Mosquito are likely getting from RealPlayer may be the entire reason for Anti Mosquito's existence. The program itself isn't much; there's a button to "activate" and "deactivate" the repellent sound, but since the sound is "beyond the audible range of humans," it's impossible to know whether or not the program is producing a sound of any sort. We wouldn't be surprised if it's not. There's an online Help file written in terrible English that purports to explain how Anti Mosquito works; its quality does not inspire confidence. Overall, we remain highly skeptical of Anti Mosquito; try it if you want, but if you end up covered in mosquito bites, don't say we didn't warn you.
Anti Mosquito comes as a zip file and installs a desktop icon without asking. We do not recommend this program.
From Sandaruwan Software:
"Anti Mosquito" software produce mosquito repellent ultra sound and mosquitoes drive away from your computer area. The sound range which is this program produce beyond the audible range of humans. Therefore you can't hear this sound.
What's new in this version: Version 2.5: added user-friendly help tutorial.
More Products to Consider
- Drive the mosquitoes away.
- Monitor your PC use and log keystrokes, clipboard, screenshot, ...
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Enhance your gameplay by editing Xbox 360 gamesaves.
- Print at home or at your office passport photo and ID photo.
- Determine a random order for a group of people or choose indivi...
- Generate ultrasonic sound to get rid of mosquitoes.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Meassure distances and angles on your desktop.
- Categorize and keep track of your movie collection.
- Create realistic, 3D walk-throughs of your design ideas.
- Find out interesting information about your birth date.
- Design and print labels for your tapes, discs, and other disc m...
- Disable private browsing option in any Web browser.
- Access great cheatsaves for your PS3.
- Local conditions, severe-weather alerts, radar, and forecasts o...
- Create your own beats with a fully synthesized drum machine.
- Protect yourself from mosquitoes using ultrasound.
- Displays fractal zoom animations.
- Learn or teach anatomy using a human 3D skeleton model.
- View the result of the UEFA Champions League matches.
- Design and print your own garden plan.
- Keep track of time spent on projects and activities.
- Simulate molecular behavior on your PC screen.
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Don't waste your time."
Version: Anti Mosquito 2.5
None for me but reading my review and saving yourself the bandwidth is definitely a pro for you.
Most computer speakers cannot produce the freq needed to repel.
If you have a avg sound system don't even bother with this. It's a good idea but the fact that most PC speakers cannot hit the freq needed makes this worthless.
I'll give you 3 stars for the concept.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content