From Jeff Frey:
Within the heart of the Darwin OS is a beautiful piece of OS engineering called the SystemConfiguration framework, which among other things implements:
- Dynamic network configuration: the user can modify parameters on-the-fly and the changes are noted without a restart of the entire OS.
- Location-based configuration sets: the user can create multiple sets of parameters, termed "locations," which may be activated dynamically
- Centrally-defined, XML storage form: all parameters are stored in a central plist file; the multitude of files in /etc need not be modified
While this sounds wonderful, there was a key piece of software missing from the picture: a program which allowed the user to actually enter the information and parameters! As a result, old-time configuration methods -- editing those text files in /etc -- have proliferated and presented a general air of disarray in the Darwin community when it comes to network setup under the OS.
What's new in this version: Version 3.1.2 fixes a glitch that existed when removing locations: the services for a location were not being removed from the preference store. This update also attempts to resolve some weird issues on Intel-based Macs.
More Products to Consider
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Turn your Android or iOS device into an extra touch screen moni...
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Hover over the Dock for window previews and enables window snap...
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Set a different desktop picture for each Space.
- Original & exclusive wallpapers designed by artists from around...
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
- Clipboard manager.
- Keyboard-based app launcher and search tool.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Drive the super fast cars to see if you can beat the other ones...
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Menu bar extension like the classic Apple menu.
- Knowledge collaboration software.
- Stick images, view live webcams on your desktop.
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Personal task management software with a twist.
- Driving games right in your Mac OS X Dashboard.
- Share your calendar, contacts, and other information with other...
- Makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of...