From Jeff Frey:
Within the heart of the Darwin OS is a beautiful piece of OS engineering called the SystemConfiguration framework, which among other things implements:
- Dynamic network configuration: the user can modify parameters on-the-fly and the changes are noted without a restart of the entire OS.
- Location-based configuration sets: the user can create multiple sets of parameters, termed "locations," which may be activated dynamically
- Centrally-defined, XML storage form: all parameters are stored in a central plist file; the multitude of files in /etc need not be modified
While this sounds wonderful, there was a key piece of software missing from the picture: a program which allowed the user to actually enter the information and parameters! As a result, old-time configuration methods -- editing those text files in /etc -- have proliferated and presented a general air of disarray in the Darwin community when it comes to network setup under the OS.
What's new in this version: Version 3.1.2 fixes a glitch that existed when removing locations: the services for a location were not being removed from the preference store. This update also attempts to resolve some weird issues on Intel-based Macs.
More Products to Consider
- Conceal your IP address on the web.
- Get pop-up notifications for iTunes track changes, new email, a...
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Control your MacBook's fans.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Extend the Dock and get window previews whenever you hover your...
- Widget displays Amazon's lightning deals.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Make the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of ...
- Keyboard tool that lets you "click" buttons and control your ap...
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Bandwidth shaper & connection optimizer.
- Executes a list of programs after a time delay.
- Forces windows to go full screen when you click the green orb b...
- Share your internet connection easy and safely via WLAN: Tether...
- Get an Dashboard styled clock for your Mac OS X Dashboard.
- Auto reconfigures settings and programs for local network.
- Get an Office Clock styled widget for your Mac OS X Dashboard.
- Analyze genes & pathways.
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.