CNET Editors' review
iStumbler is a free, Snow-Leopard-only tool that helps you sniff out nearby Wi-Fi networks, even if you're just stumbling around with an open laptop.
iStumbler has a clean and helpful interface: on launch, it automatically displays all networks in your vicinity in a chart that shows each network's name, mode, protocol (e.g., 802.11n vs. 802.11g), security (anything from Open to WEP to BSS), noise, channel, frequency, MAC address, vendor (e.g., Apple or Netgear), sample, geographic location, and last update time. You can move these columns around and sort the networks any which way you want (such as by signal strength), and a live graph charts signal over time for selected networks. Each time you join a network (there's a join button on the upper left), iStumbler creates a standalone, semitransparent graph window to track its strength. A pane on the left also lets you see only Bluetooth and Bonjour networks, as well as look through log and location data, with the option to quickly pull up map info in a variety of formats, including Google Maps and Geocaching. This location data also lets you roughly track your movement, taking advantage of Snow Leopard's GPS-like features (much like a similar feature in the original iPhone).
iStumbler is a useful tool for rudimentary network maintenance and troubleshooting, but it's also a great choice just for finding open networks to join, for anyone who wants more information than you'll find in the default AirPort drop-down menu.
iStumbler is the leading wireless discovery tool for Mac OS X, providing tools for finding AirPort networks, Bluetooth devices and Bonjour services with your Mac.
What's new in this version:
- Updated the AirPort Plugin to work with CoreWLAN on SnowLeopard.
- AirPort Monitor updated to use the HUD window style and support for multiple monitors
- Updated the Location Plugin to work with CoreLocation on SnowLeopard
- Bluetooth Plugin now performs SDP queries to get service types for the inspector
- Numerous small bug fixes, incomplete features removed and general cleanup
More Products to Consider
- Wireless LAN site survey.
- IPsec VPN client (login required).
- Remote control any Mac over the internet within seconds.
- Graphical user interface for OpenVPN.
- Get instant secure access to your computer and its programs and...
- Serve media to PlayStation 3's or other UPnP devices.
- Cocoa front-end for SSH, SFTP and SCP.
- Connect to remote Windows desktops.
- 802.11 WiFi wireless scanner and connection manager.
- Remote access using IPSec or SSL VPN.
- Access and control your Mac from a tablet, phone or a PC.
- Wireless sniffer & scanner that uses monitor mode and passive s...
- Secure Apple Remote Desktop and VNC client.
- Content management system.
- Emulate Wyse, Viewpoint, DEC terminals.
- Server log analyzer.
- Remote control to manage Macs.
- Arrange multiple computers into one secure network.
- Update DynIPs at dyndns.servermaster.de.
- Access any PC and Mac via remote desktop.
- Discover and manage networks.
- Network administration and security testing utility.
- Display machines, Mac users, IPs on the local network.
- Make configuring your Apache Web Server, DNS, and FTP simpler.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 22 votes
Current version:3.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Great to have with your laptop!!!!!"
Version: iStumbler 99
1. Steady signal for web connections
2. Catches signals in real time (not faded ones)
3. Easy to use
4. Great for quick browsing especially if you live in a apartment complex!!
1. Gps sometimes glitches and freezes on me..
2. Have to find signal and stay put no heavy moving around
(it loses connection sometimes)
If you have a Apple laptop, and you have wi-fi , this is a must have for the budget concious. There are wireless signals all around the world that makes paying for the internet a soon to be challege. Great for college and small biz functions!! I can see 40 computers running off one signal, so as long as you steady in one position or at least neutral to some point. You should not have no problem!!!
"iStumbler works great! (BTW, Snow Leopard means 10.6)"
Version: iStumbler 99
It provides very useful detail about your networks. I've used it to get data on available channels in my neighborhood and when I switched my Wifi to that channel it cleared up interference issues I've been having.
It will be of limited value to non-techie users.
It runs clean, gives you good detail about the networks in your area, and it's free.
"The description needed to say it was for 10.6 only."
Version: iStumbler 99
I was unable to run iStumbler99.
Because my computer is G4 based, I still run OSX 10.5. I am unable to run iStumbler99.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content