CNET Editors' review
This free utility tries its best to impersonate the dock that has become so familiar to Mac users, down to the magnification when you hover your mouse over an icon. But we found its taskbar feature pointless and the dock itself slow to launch programs.
The user interface that comes with docKtor looks very similar to the Mac dock, with icons lined up next to each other in a row. The skinnable dock can be positioned in different areas of your desktop, and you can opt to hide it from view until you hover your mouse over its location. But even then, we found that it got in the way of our browsing. Unlike the Mac dock, you can't customize the dock by adding new icons. We also found that it took considerably longer to launch programs, such as IE and Firefox, from the dock, rather than from the desktop or Start menu. The taskbar feature doesn't offer any benefit, other than the ability to adjust its opacity. It merely changes the appearance and navigation of your default taskbar. Luckily, you can disable the taskbar feature through the Settings menu.
Other than a link to the publisher's Web site, docKtor doesn't offer any user guidance whatsoever. We wouldn't recommend the taskbar feature, although the dock itself does provide an alternative, albeit a slow one, for launching programs.
docKtor is a 100% completely free program designed to bring a more robust user experience to the Microsoft Windows computing environment. docKtor provides a fully customizable dock and taskbar that supports per-pixel alpha-blending, windows shell context menus (right click menus), and window thumbnail previews. This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
What's new in this version: This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Add your items to Explorer shell context menu.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enhance the SendTo menu on your desktop.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Add various items to your Windows Explorer context menu.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Search Amazon.com, Dictionary.com, eBay, Google, and Wikipedia ...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Enhance your Send To menu.
- Measure the usage of CPU on your computer.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Transform your desktop for better look and enhanced usability a...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Get instant access to your desired folders.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Add a range of new functionality to Windows Explorer.
- Enable context menu if it is blocked by the Web page.
- Access Google's Advanced Operators with multiple features.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Get Web links and images with Irvine.