CNET Editors' review
We've tried many freeware DVD rippers and converters, but so far, few have stood out. When we saw that the latest release of ZC DVD Ripper Platinum was listed as freeware, we were intrigued: Perhaps it's a premium tool that's now free? Or maybe a free trial version of shareware? Unfortunately, we were never able to clear that up with ZC DVD Ripper Platinum. Worse, we couldn't even use it.
The latest release of ZC DVD Ripper Platinum, version 3, is listed as ready for Windows 8 and includes "major" bug fixes. It requires at least 256MB of RAM (we had 8GB) and DirectX 9 or better (we had DirectX 11) to run. We installed it in a system running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. A nag screen suggested we needed to buy a license to use the software (Hmmm, we thought this was freeware?). ZC DVD Ripper Platinum's interface is really nothing more than a media player with a drop-down menu of output choices, a Settings icon, and a Record button. The Settings are minimal, mostly specifying codecs and output options. We could set the program for stereo or mono but not multichannel formats. But ZC DVD Ripper Platinum offers a lot of options for copying and converting DVDs under Output Format. We were mostly interested in backing up our DVDs to disk to play in a home theater system, so we made our selections and pressed Record. Unfortunately, ZC DVD Ripper Platinum froze and crashed -- three times.
There's no Help file or similar resources with ZC DVD Ripper Platinum to consult, and the developer's Web site was less help since it made no reference to the Platinum version being free; only ZC DVD Audio Ripper is listed as free software on the Products page, leaving us more confused about this program. Perhaps we would have been able to tell which version was which, had we been able to run the software and see what, exactly, it does. But after three attempts and three frozen program screens, we decided ZC DVD Ripper Platinum wasn't worth the time.
From ZC Software:
1. DVD Recorder: Record DVD main movie video and audio and encode to avi, divx, xvid, wmv, mp4, mpeg, wma, mp3, wav-50 kinds of popular key video and audio formats. 2. DVD Title Ripper: Convert dvd to iPod, iPhone, Mobille phone, Pocket PC, PSP, Zune, and the other popular video formats. 3. DVD Audio Ripper: Rip dvd audio track to be mp3, m4a, ac3, mp2, wma, aac, amr, sun au, wav ect audio formats file. ZC DVD Ripper Platinum is a super DVD backup and convert tool software, which is a DVD Player firstly, and it can not only record any DVDs' audio and video you can playback on your computer, but also can rip the DVDs' titles to be 50 kinds of popular audio and video key formats, which are playable on portable media device(iPod, iPhone, Mobile phone, Pocket PC, Sony PSP, Microsoft Zune, Apple TV), such as avi, divx, xvid, mpeg, wmv, wma, mp3, wav. The intuitionistic design make it be so easy to use without any computer or multimedia audio and video knowledge base requirement.
Key Features: 1) Up to 7x ripping speed. 2) DVD Player playbak and watch DVDs. 3) DVD Recorder record DVDs' video and audio. 4) Record what you watch through out the DVD main movie. 5) DVD title Ripper convert DVDs' titles. 6) DVD title Ripper extract DVD titles' audio track. 7) 1-click output format and quality profile settings. 8) Select main title automatically. 9) Convert dvd to most of popular video formats. 10) Convert dvd to portable media device playable video and music. 11) Record dvd audio track to tens of music format. 12) DVD titles and chapters batch conversion. 13) DVD title rename to change the output file name. 14) Edit DVD ripping start and end range. 15) Subtitle color and transparent changeable. 16) Crop video to be comfortable aspect ratio. 17) Remove video black bar. 18) Video scene camera grab image when playback movie. 19) DVD angle selectable. 20) Customize duration splitter. 21) Built-in Sony PSP movie manager. 22) Support portable device: iPod, iPhone, Mobile Phone, Microsoft Zune, Apple TV, iTouch, Pocket PC, Sony PSP ect. 23) Keep original aspect ratio. 24)DVD playback preview. 25) Shutdown computer automatically when job is done.
What's new in this version: fixed some major bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip DVD audio tracks and transcode to MP3, WMA, MP2, WAV, M4A, ...
- Back up your DVD movies to AVI, DivX, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Kindl...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert DVD to various video formats, copy DVD to portable devi...
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Rip and convert DVD to multimedia files including video and aud...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Rip your DVDs to various video formats.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Rip your DVDs into any video and audio format including iPod, i...
- Copy and convert DVD to AVI, Mp4, WMV, Mpeg, 3GP files, transfe...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Rip your DVD movies.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Rip dvd audio track and transcode to mp3 music.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Rip DVDs to multiple video/audio formats.
- Edit MP3 tags, find covers, and organize your music collection.
All versions:2.0 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-7 of 7
"Looking for DVD Conversion Software? Keep Looking"
Version: ZC DVD Ripper Platinum 3.0.6
None that I can find.
Confusing interface. I tried for 15 minutes and could not get it to work at all.
I could not get it to work. There are many, many better products.
"Works well - a little buggy (2.9 version works better)"
Version: ZC DVD Ripper Platinum 3.0.6
Rips dvd copyrighted material (needs 3rd party decryption software for some dvds - freeware. Due to legality you will never find a program that will be fully functional) Some DVDs I've found aren't playable on a computer. There is a very small amount (maybe 5 out 300) that don't play at all on this app, but I have a screen capture program to handle that. The 2.9 version allows for batch recording and you can work on other things while it is running. Screen capture you cannot. It also doesn't always keep the original frame rate like this app does. Didn't see batch recording in the 3.0 free version.
3.0 - No progress bar (I liked it)
- Doesn't stop DVD to record faster (don't believe this version is faster - I prefer cached screen anyway)
- License Name & Code don't work when pasted in 3.0. This review is based off the free version due to this. Free version allowed for complete copy of DVD. But I didn't see Navigation menu items as on previous versions. I didn't see the ability to copy sections of the dvd in a batch rip as previous versions.
- Didn't see the ability to name output file or where to create it in free version
Previous versions - DVD playback mode always had subtitles turned on - very annoying
- Settings/Options never saved after exiting application
- Cancel ripping operation never worked well
- Ripping tends to record start of movie for 2 seconds, stops and starts again occasionally (I can crop this with another program but annoying bug)
I like the ZC DVD Ripper Platinum 2.9 better than 3.0 oddly. The 3.0 version has a better visual interface, but I find it more difficult to use. The 2.9 product works well. It is a bit clumsy, but I have ripped over 250 DVDs on it and that's what matters.
"won't rip copyright-protected DVD !"
Version: ZC DVD Ripper Platinum 22.214.171.1240
What good is a "ripper" that doesn't rip copyright-protected DVD? they're the ones we need to create backup for the most likely since the cost the most than anything else!
"Would not work"
Version: ZC DVD Ripper Platinum 126.96.36.1991
Don't know - didn't work
Not working is a big one
"bad bad bad"
Version: ZC DVD Ripper Platinum 188.8.131.521
i request a refoun beacuse their support is very bad, give me a win7 suggestion for xp...
try others better
"Recording any DVDs smoothly"
Version: ZC DVD Ripper Platinum 0.7.5
It can record any DVDs smoothly on my PC, supports ipod, psp, 3gp, zune, pocket pc, avi, divx, xvid, mpeg, wmv, mp3...ect most of video and audio formats. I like the easy-to-use and all-in-one program such as this one.
It won't work when you click the start button to copy unless you playback the DVD to main movie first of all.
Nothing to word
"What a waste of time!"
Version: ZC DVD Ripper Platinum 0.6.9
I can't think of a thing..
It is a complete waste of time, it didn't download properly then the User Name / Registration Code was 'Invalid' even though I copied and pasted them as they sent it to me via E-Mail and every time I try to use the trial version, It freezes my Laptop
Download this at your own risk.. If you are brave/stupid enough to buy it.. I hope you have better luck resolving the problems than I did.