CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will prompt a local download of the Firefox extension. To install the extension directly, open the file using your Firefox browser.
CNET Editors' review
Like its desktop counterpart, Yoono for Firefox lets you access multiple social accounts all in one spot. With the capability to chat on AIM, Yahoo, and Live messenger while surfing your Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr accounts, this Firefox extension is a good choice for people who enjoy constant social updating.
The Web version also supports YouTube, LinkedIn, Friend Feed, and Google Talk. The interface is extremely similar to the desktop version; all of the functions for social Web browsing and Yoono's columns are the same as we had mentioned in our Yoono for desktop review. However, the Firefox version adds extra widgets to the mix. After setting up the social accounts you would like to use with Yoono, you can add six different widgets to maximize your Yoono experience.
With the music widget, Last.fm radio will stream from your Yoono side-bar at the left side of your browser screen. Note that you must be logged into your Last.fm account to use the widget. Unlike desktop Yoono, Web Yoono supports Gmail, Yahoo, and Live in its e-mail widget. This is useful when you need to look at your mail in the side-bar as you interact with your online friends. The news widget connects to your Digg or Google Reader account and streams your feeds. Clicking on each post will enlarge it, while there is an option to open the feeds in a separate window. Once the Web notes widget is installed, highlighting text and right-clicking will add an extra option to the menu: "add to a Web note." Right-clicking on pictures will also show this option. All of your notations will be stored in your Yoono Web notes. The final two widgets, Shopping and Discovery, are not too useful. They are supposed to pull up items and information relating to what you are viewing in your browser. However, the results are often random and simply pulled up because of a particular word. Nevertheless, Yoono for Firefox still has the widgets and the desktop version does not.
Other differences include the option to change Yoono's background color and a sharing feature where you can share an entire page or just a highlighted portion with your online buddies and updates. Choosing this Web version over the desktop one is a matter of personal preference. While the desktop Yoono has its own application, the add-on version holds its account columns in the tab-bar of your browser. It is nice to have your social Web exactly where the rest of your Web browsing occurs, but some may feel like they want these two separate.
Disclosure: Last.fm is a part of CBS Interactive, which also publishes CNET Downloads.
Yoono is a sidebar for Firefox that helps you simplify your online social life by connecting you to Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, Friendfeed, AIM, Yahoo IM and more all in one place. Yoono is also the easiest way to share stuff with all your social networks - share links, images and video from the page you're viewing across all your networks simultaneously. Connect to all your social networks and never miss another status update from friends or family. You're connected wherever you are on the web. Update your status across all your social networks at the same time. All your IM services right in your browser sidebar to easily chat while your surf the web - no more logging on to multiple services. Easily share links, images, and video from the page you are viewing with all your social networks at the same time. Discover cool stuff with the discovery widget that shows you related websites, images, videos and more as you browse.
What's new in this version: Version 7.7.29 includes fixing compatibility with Firefox 20 and Twitter authentication changes.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- Connect to update and share with all your social networks and I...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Manage multiple Twitter and Facebook accounts from your desktop...
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Access Twitter and Facebook from your desktop.
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Make your photos stunning and it with Facebook, Flickr, Twitter...
- Measure and monitor Facebook, Twitter, and Google Analytics.
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Chat with your friends across Google Talk and Facebook easily.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- Update your Windows Live Messenger status to Facebook and Twitt...
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Provide your Web browser with a combination of search engine an...
- Manage multiple social media market accounts.
- Browse the Web with speed and an elegant interface.
- Keep track of your Facebook account.
- Navigate the Internet using browser with powerful search, shari...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"No Support for over 6 months, dead on the vine."
Version: Yoono for Firefox 7.7.29
When it was working, was a one-stop shop for social networking and web page sharing. Users could use the app instead of having to go to the web pages or install other applications to interact on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
Fresh installs no longer compatible with Firefox--when installing, the option to add social networks is no longer there. This issue has been posted a multitude of times on the developer's website but has been ignored for over 6 months. Believe this app has been abandoned.
Don't waste your time with this app. Developers no longer supporting.