CNET Editors' review
A communications freeware product made for those with a VoIP phone system or a high-speed broadband Internet connection, X-Lite supports instant messaging, traditional phone use, and video or conference calls. It has a number of very desirable features such as call recording and is a great way to cut phone expenses while still maintaining quality communications with friends, family, and business contacts.
X-Lite has a unique interface; it resembles a traditional cell phone with all 10 numbers and working buttons, such as redial and mute. The user can dial the phone just like a traditional cell phone or use the address book that is located just right of the dial pad to contact another user. The address book has room for an unlimited number of contacts, and it has tabs that divide contacts into family, friends, and work. The video screen of the X-Lite is located to the right of the key pad; it provides for quality secure high-compression video calls. The center display just above the dial pad is designed to look like a traditional cell phone LCD display, and it gives you information as to the status of a call.
The video quality of the X-Lite is very good when compared with other products on the market, and it is quick and easy to download, under 5 minutes with a high-speed broadband or Wi-Fi connection. It also seems to run stable. The uninstall function also works well and cleans the application off of a hard drive and from the computer's Registry. This is a good product for people with VoIP technology in their home or office who want to take full advantage of everything it has to offer.
From CounterPath Solutions:
CounterPath's X-Lite is a SIP based softphone. Based on the advanced architecture of eyeBeam 1.5, the new X-Lite is designed to showcase some of the feature rich capabilities available with our commercial softphone such as superior audio and video quality, zero-touch configuration, IM and Presence, and a comprehensive personal address book. Users who subscribe to a VoIP or Broadband service will be able to experience the power of X-Lite as CounterPath enables them to communicate anytime, anywhere by bringing their communication experience directly to the end-point. With its intuitive and familiar interface, users can seamlessly transition from a traditional hard phone environment into the world of Voice over IP. Also by making the navigation simple and user friendly, X-Lite provides users with easy access to video and address book management.
More Products to Consider
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Join live-video chat rooms from around the world.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add thousands of cool effects to webcam video for live video ch...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Accept Web-based audio/video calls from friends.
- Add a virtual webcam with amazing video effects to your video c...
- Experience the ease of making VoIP calls through their computer...
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Use a VoIP softphone / IP phone for Windows that works with VoI...
- Share files and converse with your friends with text-to-speech ...
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Get a softphone for audio and video conferencing.
- Conduct meetings and conferences over the Internet.
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Make a call from PC to PC or PC to phone.
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Make virtual phone calls with real-time video directly from you...
- Make calls over the internet directly from your PC.
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Get an audio, video and CD/DVD player that uses DirectShow tech...
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Run multiple Skype accounts on the same computer.
- Convert video files using MPEG-1/MPEG-2/AC-3 decoders.
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 26 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Good for online calling"
Version: X-Lite 5.0
I like using it for hands free calling when searching for something on the web, using web numbers or my numbers list for dialing. Clarity and reliability are good.
So far support, even online, seems to be lacking. So it atkes a while to get it working right. Also, I haven't been able to get it out of memory so it won't respond on my pc to incoming calls, except by writing a macro to do it. There must be a better way.
I have a new Win8 laptop, and I am thinking of diving in to try it again.
"Almost what I was looking for"
Version: X-Lite 5.0
Good sound quality, using it at my office now.
Conference calling option missing