CNET Editors' review
Not all video-capable devices support every format, which sometimes makes conversion a real pain. VideoDrive for Mac allows you to easily manage all your videos via iTunes and play them on your iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV in just a few steps, making it easy and fast to take your videos with you anywhere.
At first launch, after a spooky warning, VideoDrive for Mac will propose to install both Perian and Handbrake to be able to function properly. The installation process is smooth. Thanks to Handbrake, the conversion is fast and will make use of every available core on your machine. You may also choose to select QuickTime or Elgato Turbo.264 for encoding. You can encode a single video or queue a bunch of videos to process them automatically in a row. The program is mostly bug-free, even though the automatic artwork finding, which is supposed to search for covers on IMDb, didn't work for us. When it comes to features, we were a bit disappointed to see that there is only a single default setting for each device, so you can't tweak the bit rate, codec, or any other detailed setting. Not really optimal to reduce the file size for mobile devices. Another disappointment is that we couldn't find a way to export the same video for different devices in a single operation. The trial version is limited to exporting 20 non-watermarked movies, which is sufficient to try every aspect of the program.
With a simple workflow and multiple devices supported, this software is suitable for people who own multiple Apple devices but who are not familiar with video conversion. If you are used to more options, perhaps you won't find VideoDrive for Mac too interesting.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of VideoDrive for Mac 2.7.02.
From Aroona Software:
VideoDrive makes it easy to add videos to iTunes without converting them or losing quality. VideoDrive supports all current formats, including mpg, mpeg, mp4, avi, wmv, swf, m4v, m2v, flv, wma, mkv, asf, divx, xvid and YouTube video formats. VideoDrive offers support for multiple disks, automatic online metatagging, cover art, cleanup of file names, automatic season and episode numbering of TV Shows, merging of video parts (CD1, CD2, ...) and much more. VideoDrive is fully compatible with iPod, iPhone, Front Row and AppleTV: add your video collection to iTunes with one click and watch your videos everywhere!
What's new in this version:
- Added support for MacOSX 10.9 Mavericks.
- Added support to automatically download matching subtitles. Choose 'Install additional tools' in the VideoDrive menu bar and download the Subtitles tool.
- Added support to remux H.264 tracks without conversion. Choose 'Install additional tools' in the VideoDrive menu bar and download the Subler tool.
- Added support to save metadata and subtitles in MP4/M4V files. Choose 'Install additional tools' in the VideoDrive menu bar an... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Music notation with MIDI input & part extraction.
- Scheduling component for Radiologik DJ.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Add chapters to movies for quicktime player.
- Automated radio DJ assistant.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Join multiple movies into one chapterized movie, bulk export mo...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Create multilayer audio loops with adjustments and effects.
- Add even more friends and play songs with captcha on MySpace.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Mix the music.
- Import your video collection into iTunes.
- Watch smooth videos without buffering pauses and get accelerate...
- Record any sound playing through sound card, microphone, or bot...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Create a tiled photo, PDF or image map out of image files, movi...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Great way to fill your iPad or iPhone with videos"
Version: VideoDrive 2.5.01
I use it daily to add new movies and TV shows to iTunes. VideoDrive automatically takes care of it by scanning my download folder and adding the videos to iTunes. Artwork and metadata is included as well. You can add videos with or without converting which is huge advantage. The latest version includes support for HandBrake, which results in very fast conversion times.
Sometimes a video is misidentified. You can simply fix this by typing the right name and year, but then you have to search again. Mac version only.
Very much recommended for people who want to put a lot of videos on their iPad, iPhone or AppleTV.
"I use VideoDrive every day"
Version: VideoDrive 1.6.8
I can't imagine managing my video collection without this tool anymore. I get all my videos in AVI or DIVX and this tool puts it all in iTunes without reconverting. It searches for metadata and cover art too. Very fast tool with lot's of features.
I like almost everything about the tool. Conversion of videos is a bit slow but that's not why I use it. Just putting al my videos in iTunes without reconversion is an amazing time saver. There is only a Mac version.
I can recommend this tool very much. It's very appealing to put all your videos in iTunes with cover art and metadata. From iTunes putting it on your AppleTV or iPod is straightforward. I mainly use it to watch my videos in Front Row. A nice addition is that subtitles (SRT files) work in Front Row too! Finally, there is also great tool support via email. You get an answer straight away.
Version: VideoDrive 188.8.131.52
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
Excellent tool if you use your Mac as a media center. Any movie file will be added to iTunes so you can organize them correctly. Very recommended :)
"Nice piece of software !"
Version: VideoDrive 1.4.3
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
Works really fine and the developer are responding very fast !!