From University of Bucharest:
US Academic is based on the principles of U.S. Extended keyboard layout. Additionally it allows to get: - all the characters with diacritical marks already defined in the Latin Extended Areas of the Unicode.org encoding; and the characters defined as IPA. - All the CDM's (combining diacritical marks); by using both the pre-defined characters and CDM, you may get practically all the possible characters and combinations of characters for current or occasional linguistic or phonetic use, including double diacritical marks (e.g. long stressed vowel = vowel+macron+acute, vowel+breve+acute, etc.). For getting CDM, you press option+D, option+shift+D and option+capslock+D (this latter for combining letters above). - preserves the basic Apple conventions for dead keys, preserves all the mnemotechnical conventions in U.S. Extended (Apple multinational default keyboard layout), and also adds new combinations easy to remember (e.g. dot below = option+dot; dot above = option+shift+dot; hook = option+H; horn = option+shift+h, etc.). For all those accustomed with the principles of U.S. Extended, it is easy to adapt to this keylayout. - you may use this keylayout instead of the default U.S. Extended for a larger scope, and without being necessary to switch from one keylayout to another for complex multinational use and/or phonetic transcriptions.
Not all the diacritical marks are defined separately in the unicode charts, therefore upon pressing a key combinations for a dead key, in few cases, e.g. option+shift+b = inverted breve, you may not be satisfied with the displayed character, but the functionality is not affected when you go on to achieve the desired character.
Info Based on the principles of U.S. Extended keyboard layout and Eric Rasmussen's Latin Extended keyboard layouts. US Academic is also a generic component of Romanian Academic keyboard layout. For more information please also download Romanian Academic, posted as RO-US Academic.
What's new in this version: A better alternative, against U.S. Extended, for multinational, linguistic and phonetic use.
More Products to Consider
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Set a different desktop picture for each Space.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Menu bar extension like the classic Apple menu.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
- Customize the appearance and behavior of your Mac.
- Menu extras: CPU, disk, memory & network monitoring.
- Makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of...
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Icon and Dock cataloging and customization.
- Fun way to get familiar with the keyboard.
- Desktop app to post messages to pMachine weblogs.
- Forces windows to be full screen when you click the green butto...
- Snippet abbreviation expander that runs in the menu bar.
- Convert QWERTY string into AZERTY string.
- Learn to type quickly.
- Service to expand Bit.ly shortened URLs.
- Creates keyboard layout files.