CNET Editors' review
Even Windows Explorer is skinnable, so if you're on the hunt for a decent way to change the shades of the XP file navigation system, you could do worse than TweakXPlorer. It's a simple utility that lets you slap an image in Explorer's background, change font colors, and adjust background settings for the Explorer toolbar, too.
Simple buttons with clean icons will help you navigate through the three main interface tabs. There's TweakFolder for folder changes, TweakToolbar for toolbar adjustments, and TweakThumbnail to change thumbnail resolution and size. Importing an image into the toolbar automatically resizes it for the toolbar's rectangular dimensions, and the app makes use of sliders to keep the interface from becoming visually stale. It's portable, although the reasoning behind that decision is not exactly clear. Portable Firefox we get. Portable TweakXPlorer? Not so much.
Drag and drop doesn't work here, so you'll have to navigate through the program itself. Other than that, the biggest limitation that the program faces is that it's kind of pointless unless you're a demanding aesthete for all aspects of Windows. If these visual customizations could be coupled with some serious performance tweaks for Explorer, then we'd be talking about a must-have program.
From D-One Production:
TweakXPlorer is a program that allow you to enhance your Windows Explorer look. It uses the Microsoft "secret" tweak that was not included in Windows XP. Some TweakXPlorer key features are: give your folder an eye catching background; give Explorer or IE6 toolbar a background; show your picture as folder thumbnail; resize thumbnail displayed on Explorer, if you think it is too small; set picture quality for thumbnail; disable thumbnail caching. Two languages are included: English and Indonesian. You can also add your own language. TweakXPlorer does not require any framework to run it, and it can run on all computers. It's portable, meaning that you does not need to install it. You can include and bring this program on your flashdisk so you can use it anywhere.
What's new in this version: Version 2.9.4 has added tooltips for top-panel button and updated language pack.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Hide your application windows with a hot key.
- Erase all tracks to protect your online privacy.
- Access everything in Windows OS from one easy screen.
- Quickly switch among sidebars, and view dialog windows for down...
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Add Mac OS X look to your Opera browser.
- Launch programs & documents in a flash.
- Allow your clients to check updates of your application.
- Improve your Windows loading time.
- A desktop task windows and display managing utility.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-5 of 5
"every computer should have this."
Version: TweakXPlorer 2.9
able to put your coolest photos as background on any and every folder and toolbar, every computer should have this as basic default software.
only negative is the 10 characters i have to write here.
ability to finess the computers thumbnails, folder backgrounds and toolbar background is very clever, great free software.
"Fun And useful tool."
Version: TweakXPlorer 2.8.1
Works well for customizing folders and files.
A little reluctant to execute sometimes. Kind of hangs up until you slap the side of the screen. The bit about the slap is a joke. The hangup is real.
Changing the appearance of folders makes them easier to work with and relives some of the boredom.
"useful and cool tool"
Version: TweakXPlorer 2.8.1
easy interface and is easy to undo if you dont like the results. it nice seeing one of my photos as the background to my entire "my pictures" file and all the subfolders in it as well as have control over all the thumbnails.
could not find anything bad with this
all-in-all this is a very easy tool to add to the computer experience no one should be without.
"i like the new look i can give windows with my own art"
Version: TweakXPlorer 2.71
new look using any pictures as background and folder picture option
it could have more variety for folder options
"cool......... nice free tool"
Version: TweakXPlorer 2.6
Takes the boring out of exploring! Allows creativity changes.
None! I haven't found anything negative as far.
No Comment as yet.