CNET Editors' review
Conservation of marine life begins with knowledge and awareness. TheBlu 3D Ocean Screensaver for Mac tries to educate users about marine life and support conservation through social networking, but its functionality is spotty.
The program is available as freeware with a log-in and e-mail address required, but you can purchase additional marine life for the screensaver. TheBlu 3D Ocean Screensaver prompts with a Facebook log-in at startup so the user can share knowledge learned through the program with friends. Downloading was simple and fast, but installation proved problematic. There were no instructions, and support appears to be minimal. When the program is first started, a screen depicting an ocean appears, but there is no indication what the program is doing, which is confusing. Each time I opened it the program took approximately 1 minute to load. While it purports to be a screensaver, it would only operate manually; when initiated as a screensaver, only a blank screen appeared. Even when opened directly, TheBlu's functionality is limited, but the interface works well and is beautifully designed. Users can earn more fish and marine life for their screen by performing tasks, inviting friends via social media, or by purchases. When we selected a specific fish, there was a wealth of information available on it for educational purposes. The app's maker indicates that purchases support marine conservation, but the validity of this claim is unknown.
TheBlu 3D Ocean Screensaver for Mac did not perform as a screensaver, and those seeking an educational tool about marine life and conservation should probably look elsewhere.
From Wemo Media:
Inspired by the Oceans, theBlu is a socially-connected, global interactive application. Each time you participate, your interactions and connections impact the flow of life in theBlu and everyone's experience of it. Each time you purchase beautiful species and habitats to add to the globally-connected Ocean, you support oceanic conservation. Explore and experience a beautiful online 3D underwater world as easily as browsing the Web. Connect and interact with your friends via Facebook and go diving together in theBlu. Have fun learning about the Oceans because theBlu is both entertaining and educational. Support oceanic conservation each time you purchase 3D species and habitat art work.
What's new in this version: Backend work to address choppiness issues that some users were experiencing.
More Products to Consider
- Bring realistic coral reef aquarium to your PC screen.
- Display the view of our planet as seen from space.
- Enjoy flight over ocean in cinematic 3D environment.
- Animate your desktop with water effects.
- Place video wallpapers on your desktop.
- Create a screensaver with images, sounds, movies, Flash, web si...
- Customize your wallpapers and screensavers with pictures and vi...
- Emulates the Matrix code and introduction sequence.
- Bring the beauty of African Serengeti wild life to your monitor...
- Bring underwater world to your desktop.
- Disply a virtual aquarium with unsurpassed realism.
- Watch breathtaking animated waterfall with eagles soaring above...
- Set your desktop virtually on fire.
- Display a golden spinning cross with reflecting colors.
- Decorate your desktop with a Veep TV show screensaver.
- Decorate your desktop with a balls screensaver.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Decorate your desktop with a West Wing TV show screensaver.
- Change the desktop wallpaper automatically, position pictures t...
- Enjoy a screen saver with two moving turtles, passing the scree...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Customize your bootup screen with your own images.
- Enjoy jai ganesha musical screensaver on your screen.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 24 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"theBlu phones home to Google Analytics"
Version: TheBlu 3D Ocean Screensaver 2.4.5
skip skip skip
theBlu phones home to Google Analytics
theBlu phones home to Google Analytics.
The only reason to do so to my knowledge is to allow Google surveillance of my computer behavior. If your app is going to surveil my computer use, then ASK MY PERMISSION FIRST, DAMMIT. I have used my reverse firewall Little Snitch to deny theBlu access to Google Analytics forever. I suggest other folks with reverse firewalls consider doing the same.
"Meh! It didn't work at all."
Version: TheBlu 3D Ocean Screensaver 2.4.5
Meh! It didn't work at all.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content