CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
While Socialcam appears to be one of the better video-sharing apps on iOS, I certainly can't say the same about its sibling on the Android platform. After taking some time to review Socialcam for Android, I realized that the app is fraught with problems and in need of some major attention from its developers.
The first problem I encountered was that Socialcam on Android only offers you the option to log in using Facebook, and much of the time even that doesn't work. I tried logging in using two different accounts on two different devices and found this most basic of actions to be hit-or-miss, with the app force-closing or freezing on several occasions. This was not a good start, to say the least.
Once I was finally able to get into Socialcam, the problems continued. The app failed to load any user videos, except for a single promo piece published by Socialcam staff, which means I wasn't able to browse other users' content or find anyone interesting to follow. In other words, I wasn't able to interact with the community...at all. And from what I know, that is supposed to be a major part of the Socialcam experience.
Fortunately, Socialcam for Android was capable of shooting and sharing video -- but that's not saying much, considering that's the very minimum of what it should be able to do. Nevertheless, after all the problems, I was pleased that I could tap the camera icon, record video, and post to Socialcam fairly easily. The app also let me add a title, tag friends, and share on Facebook, Twitter, and other networks. Sure, it worked, but if that's the extent of Socialcam's capabilities on Android, then that's not a very compelling proposition. I can shoot and share video with tons of other apps, including my device's default camera.
Considering the app hasn't been updated since summer of last year, it's no wonder Socialcam for Android looks like such a bust. In fact, there isn't even a link to the Android app on Socialcam's site, which to me, suggests that it is nothing more than an afterthought to its developers.
Socialcam is the easiest way to share videos with friends. It makes sharing video from your phone as simple as uploading photos to Facebook. With a few clicks, youre able to record, tag, and share videos as well as browse, like, and comment on your friends videos.Features:- Unlimited video length and storage- Upload video while you are recording for fastest possible upload- Record video offline and it uploads later when you have Internet- Tag your friends in videos- Instant notification when you are tagged in a video- Browse, like, and comment on your friends videos- Share videos with Email, SMS, Facebook, Twitter, Posterous, Tumblr, and DropboxRecent changes:- Fixed 3 cosmetic bugs- Fixed one occasional crash when sharing via TwitterContent rating: Medium Maturity
What's new in this version: - Fixed 3 cosmetic bugs- Fixed one occasional crash when sharing via Twitter
More Products to Consider
- Discover perfect applications to build your mobile life via And...
- Manage and share files wirelessly between WiFi enabled devices.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Meet new people, chat, play games, and have fun.
- Meet MILLIONS of single girls and guys at Skout for flirting, d...
- Manage Twitter, Facebook, and Foursquare from one place.
- Path is the Smart Journal that helps you share life with the on...
- YouNow is a place where you can discover awesome people and mak...
- Get daily recommendations for apps and games and download recom...
- Free Voice and Video Calls!.
- Connect and share life as it happens.
- Unblock sites and surf anonymously with your Android device.
- Control the privacy of the videos on your Android device.
- Your robust and comprehensive voice chatting app.
- A perfect & refined collection of some of the best Best Friend ...
- Watch latest news, sports, cooking, and entertainment videos on...
- Chat over VoIP or via instant messaging, share images and video...
- Watch 15-second video status updates captured on your smartphon...
- The best video experience on Android!.
- Make new friends, send free voice, video and photo messages.
- The best video experience on Android!.
- Voxle - know what happens around you!Map of local events and pe...
- Send free messages and make calls whenever and wherever you are...
- Shoot, share, and watch videos on your Android.
- FREE unlimited text and picture messaging. Chat with your Faceb...