Smart Scroll is a handy preference pane that can give you much more flexibility with trackpad, mouse (and Magic Mouse), and keyboard scrolling, including coasting iPhone-style scrolling.
Smart Scroll works in the background, but its settings interface gives you extensive control over its five primary features: the iPhone-style "Super Scroll" that lets the content of a window continue scrolling even after you let go of your trackpad or mouse (you can easily control the speed and amount of "coasting," stop with two fingers, and even reverse the x and y axis to match the iPhone); the "Auto Scroll" for hands-free scrolling; the "Hover Scroll," which lets you scroll by hovering the cursor near the top or bottom of a window; the "Grab Scroll" that lets you click and drag the content of a window to scroll; and the surprisingly useful "Scroll Keys" that lets you set convenient key combos for scrolling in any direction (for example, holding Control and then clicking Option to scroll up or Command to scroll down).
Smart Scroll is easy and intuitive to set up and use, and--unlike some other narrow-purpose UI enhancers--it's also fairly affordable, with a fully functional trial mode. It's definitely worth a download for people who want their Mac to feel more like their iPhone.
Smart Scroll makes scrolling smoother, faster and more comfortable:
- Super Scroll offers smooth and easy iPhone-like scrolling. It improves even Magic Mouse and the new trackpads, and it lets you reverse scrolling on the Mac to match your iPhone. Try it!
- Auto Scroll lets you enjoy automatic hands-free scrolling while reading.
- Hover Scroll makes scrolling as easy as pointing to the top or bottom edge of a window.
- Grab Scroll gives you a Hand tool to easily move the contents of any window.
Other features includes Universal Scroll Keys, trackpad and scroll wheel acceleration, and more.
What's new in this version:
- Support for Mac OS X 10.6.6
- New: Auto Scroll hands-free scrolling is now also available for reading in Preview and Skim (Thanks, Markus Struck!)
- Various fixes and improvements.
- For Mac OS X 10.3.9, please use Smart Scroll 2.8.5 for Panther.