CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Skype's official iPhone app is one way to climb aboard the VoIP calling (and IM) train Skype from the iPhone. Skype for iPhone has always let you place free 3G calls to other Skype users, and low-price calls to cell phones and landlines around the world. Version 2.0 at long last introduces support for making calls over the 3G data network. Call quality will depend on your data or Wi-Fi connection, though we found that Skype's audio can be clearer than with conventional calls, especially internationally. Since that isn't always the case, an improved quality meter will flash a message on the screen when your coverage fluctuates. However, if you hold the phone to your ear or let the screen dim, you may miss these visual alerts.
There's just one catch: Skype's 3G calling is only on a trial basis for now. In early 2011, the VoIP company will levy a "small monthly fee," the amount of which remains undecided for now, according to online reports. Skype has not yet released information explaining how it'll charge for the service, but we're guessing subscribers will sign up through in-app purchasing.
As for the rest, Skype for iPhone presents an interface that's arguably more intuitive than the Mac and PC Skype clients, but it's also lighter on features. Here's what you can do: quickly see the status of your contacts, start IM conversations (over Wi-Fi or 3G), add pictures from your phone to contacts (which almost instantly syncs to your computer client, as well), and access your profile and voice mail. Though Skype does voice calls well, it's also behind some competitors, especially when it comes to adding video-calling features to its voice repertoire.
Sign in to Skype from any WiFi zone and reach friends and family free with Skype-to-Skype calls. Free Skype-to-Skype calls from any WiFi zone. Call phones and mobiles from your iPhone contacts at great rates. See who is online and send and receive instant messages on the move.
What's new in this version:
- Call using your 3G connection. Skype-to-Skype calls on 3G are free until the end of 2010, after which there will be a small monthly fee (operator charges for data will still apply).
- Near CD-quality sound for Skype-to-Skype calls using wideband audio (SILK codec) on iPhone 3GS, iPad and 2nd & 3rd generation iPod touch.
- Enhanced call quality indicator.
- Improved start-up time.
- Fast access to the dial pad from iPhone home screen.
More Products to Consider
- Download and convert videos from video streaming sites.
- Download YouTube videos and convert to multiple formats.
- Increase your connection speed and recover broken downloads.
- Convert over 20M YouTube to MP3 music clips and ringtones.
- Download and convert videos, including YouTube to MP3, M4A, FLV...
- Download and manage torrent files.
This download is served from an external siteclose
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purpose
- Download free videos from YouTube, Google, Yahoo, Facebook.
- Convert multiple Youtube videos to various formats.
- Download YouTube videos and accelerate downloads.
- Download and convert any YouTube video into your favorite forma...
- Manage your file downloads on your Windows PC.
- Extract music from YouTube movies as MP3 files.
- Download video and music from YouTube.
- Download videos from YouTube and increase download speeds by up...
- Download social music or video for your Windows PC.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add thousands of cool effects to webcam video for live video ch...
- Download YouTube videos and convert them into various formats.
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Add a virtual Webcam for video chats software such as Skype, MS...
- Reduce multiple passwords to one single item.
- Accelerate your downloads to the fastest possible speed.
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
- Chat with all your Facebook friends directly from your Desktop.
All versions:2.9 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"not compatible with iOS4"
Version: Skype for iPhone 2.0
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
Skype 2.0 throws an error when launched on my iP3G newly updated with iOS4. Error indicates that Skype will only run on an unmodified iPhone with 3.1 or 3.2.
Mr Skype - please update your software to be compatible with iOS4.
"No major problems"
Version: Skype for iPhone 2.0
Nice to have this mobile so I can continue chats while in the car, etc
No 3G skype to skype calls on AT&T, however, I hear it is coming
Good product, we'll see where it goes in the future
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content