CNET Editors' review
ShowTheOffer helps you discover money-saving vouchers, coupons, and discounts on any Web site that offers them. While this program is not without its flaws, it could help you keep money in the bank.
ShowTheOffer's interface is a mixed bag, in our opinion. While it embedded itself neatly into our toolbar and was easy to navigate, its online Help file is more of a commercial than an instructional. Fortunately, the program is simple enough to use with common sense; in fact, ShowTheOffer requires almost no effort to use. While you surf online, a pop-up window appears whenever the program detects voucher and coupon offers. The pop-ups detail the special offer, the discounted price, and any coupon code you needed to enter. This all seemed legitimate, though we didn't buy anything based on ShowTheOffer's findings and thus can't verify if the codes work. On the Web sites where there was no special offer, a pop-up screen would appear offering to help us win $500 every month by entering ShowTheOffer's drawing, which quickly grew annoying. The program doesn't offer any special features, which was a disappointment. Something as simple as the capability to turn off the program would be helpful because ShowTheOffer is always running. While there were some details we didn't like, the program's capability to find money-saving offers made it worthwhile.
ShowTheOffer is a free program. It leaves files behind after uninstalling. While it's far from perfect, its money-saving possibilities prompt us to recommend this program.
From Submission Technology:
Never miss a voucher code again. Our clever little application alerts you to available money-saving coupon codes at the time you visit a relevant retailer. It's so simple. If a voucher code is available when you visit a retailer you will receive an alert with the voucher code ready for you to cut and paste to claim your discount. Plus on visiting certain retailers you will also be invited to enter our free monthly Ã??Ã?Â£500 prize draw.
Version 1.1.1 features greater control of alert management.
What's new in this version: Version 1.1.1 features greater control of alert management.
More Products to Consider
- Download YouTube videos and convert to multiple formats.
- Download and convert videos from video streaming sites.
- Increase your connection speed and recover broken downloads.
- Download and manage torrent files.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Download free videos from YouTube, Google, Yahoo, Facebook.
- Get immediate access to coupons and deals from 3,500+ CouponCab...
- Download YouTube videos and accelerate downloads by up to 5 tim...
- Monitor your appointments, expenses, to-dos, ideas, and events ...
- Download video and music from YouTube.
- Provide toolbar for a fast search on eBay, Amazon and Shopping....
- Manage your file downloads on your Windows PC.
- Donate a percentage of your purchase amount every time you shop...
- Download files faster and safer with your Web and Windows appli...
- Compare prices in thousands of online stores and eBay and buy a...
- Create links for paypal shopping cart system and store basic in...
- Search the Internet for torrent files, and download and upload ...Sponsored Products
- Create online e-store, start selling, and receive payments.
- Download videos from YouTube and increase download speeds by up...
- Compare prices and see similar items on ANY product on U.S onli...
- Create a store on the Internet.
- Organize your recipes and generate shopping lists.
- Get Amazon.com search bar for Safari 5.
- Upload and download files to your FTP resource.
- Display products and prices and manage all transactions.
All versions:2.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:1.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Does not work on Firefox."
Version: ShowTheOffer 1.1.1
Tried it on IE8 too, not worth the hassle.
Totally butts in on everything uninvited, uninstalled it right away.
Not worth downloading.
Version: ShowTheOffer 1.1.1
May offer some value, but looking at the screenshots on the website leads me to believe it's just another annoying popup!
If "Version 1.1.1 features greater control of alert management" is supposed to mean that the alerts can be made as unobtrusive as RetailMeNot, then CNET should provide more detail. Otherwise, that's not very helpful.
A better option is the RetailMeNot extension for Firefox, which only places a temporary single line of text at the top of the window, below the tab bar, similar to the warnings by FF or IE regarding downloads, or attempts to install something. If not dismissed by a click on the X, the message vanishes after a brief period. If you're interested in the details of the offer, you click on the ribbon of text to view various clickable coupons in another tab.Note that the Average User Rating was 5 stars before I posted a 2 star review. So the average is already weighted favorably before any real user reviews are posted. This is disingenuous on the part of CNET.
Updated on Nov 10, 2009
Updated on Jul 18, 2010Now, it's apparent that the 5 star rating had been carried over from a previous version and CNET now clearly differentiates between average ratings for ALL versions vs the CURRENT version. Kudos to CNET for this improvement.
I still prefer RetailMeNot and bhimji2 confirmed my stated suspicion that it was much too intrusive, within a week.