CNET Editors' review
Windows Mobile's interface is getting better all the time, but it could use some help. Swooping to the rescue are interface replacers like Spb Mobile Shell. With integration for Facebook photos, intuitive navigation, and widget customizations, Spb's mobile interface alternative go a long way toward making Windows Mobile engaging.
The professional view sports a clock and weather widget, your various voice mail and message in-boxes, alarms, and the calendar on a glossy background whose maroon default you can change. Below is a contact icon that opens your contact list. Newly added Facebook integration lets you pick among your friends' profile pictures, select from your phone's media files, or snap a new image. The app also has a launcher that pops up a skinned view of your recently used apps, plus shortcut icons to take you to your full program list, the settings, and the task manager.
Another icon on the main screen displays a stylized 3D carousel of screens to swipe through. Or, switch over to the Lifestyle layout built for casual use. Here you're able to change the background and add widgets, like a battery meter, a mini media player, the weather, and clocks. You can drag and drop them around the screen to place them where you'd like. This view also supports an expanded screen, where swiping to the left or right reveals two more panels as large as your main screen. While spacious in theory, widget packrats will find ways to clutter it, and some may never use it at all.
Spb Mobile Shell navigates smoothly and intuitively, and the app goes a long way toward making Windows Mobile interfaces engaging and attractive. The color settings should be easier to get to, but the biggest drawback for some may be the price. The $30 is more than most cosmetic apps, but the trial download gives you time to decide if the sleekness is worth the dollars. It's tempting at the very least.Spb Mobile Shell 3.0:
From Spb Software House:
SPB Mobile Shell is the first program a Pocket PC user needs to install. It dramatically improves the standard user interface and adds features that most users expect from a modern PDA phone. SPB Mobile Shell features screen professional layout, the most important information at one screen, fast and convenient menu with access to all device features, smart launcher on Today, world time, weather forecast, photo speed dial, auto-hide view for Today plug-ins, and color based themes.
What's new in this version: Version 3.5 includes new widgets, updated widgets, 3D email and SMS viewer, access to online catalog in the "Change Background" dialog box, and streamlined background change.
More Products to Consider
- Record all or part of your calls.
- Download YouTube movies and watch them with your Windows Mobile...
- Install no beep call recorder on Symbian Anna/Belle and S60 V5/...
- Detect and remove mobile viruses.
- Learn English vocabulary on your Symbian device to pass the exa...
- View PDF files on your Pocket PC device.
- Record your important conversations in either WAV or AMR format...
- Generate a series of graphs on your Pocket PC.
- Read PDF files on your Palm OS device.
- Store and retrieve inventory information.
- View, edit, and create MS Office 2007 documents on your S60 3rd...
- Record and manage your expenses on the go.
- Convert PDF to image by CMD in Linux.
- Kill virus worms, trojans, and other harmful malware.
- Access your computer using your Symbian and Java-powered mobile...
- View latest currency exchange rates from different world banks.
- View your Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents anytime...
- Chat within AIM or iChat, MSN or Windows Live, Yahoo, ICQ, Jabb...
- Draw pictures and jot text notes to them on your Pocket PC.
- Manage all calls and SMS you are unable or unwilling to take.
- Start selling your products with ease across all mobile devices...
- Make outgoing calls from smartphones address book.
- Change colors of any user interface elements on your Palm.
- Play music on your mobile phone.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 10 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Must have for WM 6.5"
Version: SPB Mobile Shell 3.5
Versatility, Flexibility, Ease of use, makes WM 6.5 usable, especially for the smaller screens on Blackberryish style phones like my Glisten
Not enough Icon choices
Bottom Line: If you have WM 6.5 GET IT!!! You won't regret it