CNET Editors' review
How many times have you been frustrated by a browser message something like "waiting for pain-in-the-ads.com" while your browser spins its wheels, unable to finish loading your site because it's linked to an ad server somewhere? More than a few programs have been written to suppress, prevent, and kill banner ads in Web browsers, instant messaging programs, and social networking apps. Major Share's RemoveAds is an ultrasimple tool that actually works. It blocks banner ads from loading, preventing the adware from trying to contact its home server, so pages load more quickly than they would if the ad links loaded normally. It's not a browser add-on but a standalone app that works with most browsers and chat tools. It updates automatically, and users can submit recommended ad sites for inclusion in the program's database.
RemoveAds has a very simple user interface, with two controls and three tabs. The controls turn the Anti-Ad feature off and reactivate it by updating the database. The Front Page tab displays the current status of the Anti-Ad tool, Software, and Database. The Database tab displays the Blacklist, which contained many familiar-looking ad links, and a tool for suggesting sites to add. The About tab accesses the usual program info, as well as a link to the developer's site, which is the only source of documentation. Clicking a button that looks like a tiny slider switch rendered the ad blocker's status Inactive, including a message that it might take a few minutes for the change to take effect. Clicking the Reload button automatically updated the program's database and simultaneously reactivated the Anti-Ad tool.
Side-by-side PCs with nearly identical specs gave us the opportunity to see RemoveAds in action in real time, and the demonstration didn't take long, either. We quickly browsed to the same national news site on both machines using the same type of browser, only one PC was running RemoveAds. The site on the RemoveAds machine loaded quickly, while the same site on the other machine was stuck "waiting for" some banner ad to load. A quick check showed the culprit in RemoveAds' Database. RemoveAds works: 'nuff said.
From Major Share:
Remove Ads is a powerful program that filters and blocks commercial banners from being loaded by browsers, Google, YouTube, Yahoo ICQ, MSN Messenger, MetaCafe, PalTalk and any other software you want. The multistage defense system guarantees practically complete filtration of advertisements. The super powerful heuristic analyzer allows blocking even the new formats of advertisements without updating the program. The product works right after the installation - there is no need to customize any addition settings in the program or browser. Compatible with all popular browsers regardless of the version.
Make Internet faster. Remove Ads doesn't only prevent banners from appearing on the screen - it stops the browser from loading them at all, which gives you considerable economy (up to 50%) in traffic and noticeably increases the speed of loading and displaying web pages.No need for settings.Even an inexperienced user can get rid of the ads, since Remove Ads starts working right after the installation and doesn't need any additional settings. The program supports all popular browsers: Internet Explorer, FireFox, Mozilla, Opera and Netscape - regardless of their version. You can also block ads in any program you want like ICQ, ICQ Lite, MSN Messenger, Kazaa, Morpheus, Grokster, PalTalk, iMesh, Bearshare, LimeWire, MetaCafe and so on. Work faster. The advertisings don't only distract your attention, but also waste your time.
What's new in this version: Version 1.5 is a bug fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Block pop-ups, clean cookies, and optimize your Internet-connec...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Block pop-ups and ads in Internet Explorer.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Block adware-related pop-up ads and protect Internet Explorer f...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Block pop-up ads to preserve your Internet security.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Block banners, pop-ups, and cookies, and browse offline.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Block Internet Explorer and Messenger Service pop-up ads.
- Block annoying Internet ads, such as videos, background sounds,...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Create your own applications for pop-up blocking.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Customize your browser and prevent pop-up ads.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Remove and prevent adware and spyware from being loaded onto yo...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"BIZARRE TERRIBLE MALWARE,CNETS TRUSTWORTHINESS AT STAKE"
Version: RemoveAds 1.5
none,couldnt use the product being warned everytime it was opened,by avast antivirus and ms security essentials.tried 10 times with same results.
some malafide bug is embedded in the exe file,it seems.avast and msse cant be wrong 10 times.
really stunned to see a malware hosted by a site as reputed as cnet.and this is the first instance that happened in last 7 years.what went wrong?avoid it like a vermin.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content