CNET Editors' review
Pictomio is freeware for displaying and managing digital images, photos, and videos, including 3D-accelerated images. It does slideshows, edits EXIF information, creates albums, and facilitates uploading and downloading images to Web sites like Flickr and YouTube. What sets it apart from the crowd is geotagging, the ability to attach geographical data to digital photos. The built-in PictoGEO add-on gives Pictomio GPS compatibility, including a GPS import wizard; a 3D trip display that includes waypoints, tracklogs, and routes; direct support for GPS tracksticks; manual geotagging (optionally stored as EXIF data); and built-in trip planning and management features.
Pictomio's setup wizard prompts you to synchronize your digital camera's time setting, a one-time operation. The attractive, skinnable interface has a unique layout based on a series of tabs, expandable panes, and animated icons. Navigation is easy, with a series of tabs for browsing the file system, Pictomio's library structure, and PictoGEO, as well as other tabs for selecting image views and info, EXIF data, albums, and more. The Carousel feature is nifty; it's a 3D thumbnail display that you can rapidly spin with your mouse. The feel is natural and precise, and it's a fun way to browse through a lot of images without squinting. The interactive Map feature lets you choose between Google Maps and Microsoft Virtual Earth. We tried both; they offer similar features and capabilities. Another feature we liked is the Globe, a built-in interactive 3D Earth view on the navigation sidebar. The image-editing functions are basic but capable, but its EXIF, geotagging, and other image data features are Pictomio's primary attraction.
We've tested other digital photo software with geographical extras, and geographical information tools with built-in image-handling and geotagging capabilities, but few with Pictomio's unique combination of useful tools. And no others do what Pictomio does for free.
Pictomio is a software application for managing, categorizing, geo mapping/geotagging, searching, and archiving photos and videos. With Pictomio you can also geotag your digital photos with latitude, longitude, and altitude information and generate animated 2D and 3D slideshows. The Pictomio software is composed of different parts: a photo browser, slideshow editor and a map view based on Virtual Earth or Google Maps. Features: image manager, photo mapper, geo locator, 3D trip manager with waypoints, tracklogs and routes, import wizard for GPS-trips, .nmea import/export, direct support for the GPS-trackstick pictoGEO , 3D image carousel, EXIF editor, liquid zoom, library, image rating, album and categories, tools, slideshow, video viewer, upload/download to Flickr, Locr, Facebook, ImageShack, Picasa, Photobucket. Pictomio is available in English, German, French, Spanish, Hungarian, Russian, Japanese, and Chinese. Notice, that the installer uses OpenCandy software recommendations (http://tinyurl.com/89b9ra8) which allows you to optionally install other high quality software.
What's new in this version: Version 1.2.35 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Create flash and web galleries, geotag photos with GPS, and mak...
- Manage, edit, and share your photos.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Show and change geo data of images taken by digital cameras.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Prepare a multimedia extravaganza of movies, screensavers, and ...
- Create, display and manage photo albums.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Collect your photos and clips into a multimedia screensaver wit...
- Add 3D text animations to your photos and videos.
- Create a Web photo album, gallery, or slide show and resize and...
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create 3D movies from your pictures, videos, and music to share...
- Manage 3D images on your Windows PC.
- Edit metadata of graphical files.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Turn your pictures into a unique 3D photo screen saver.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 42 votes
Current version:2.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
Version: Pictomio 1.2.35
None - I never could get it to successfully run.
1. Because of an ad banner at the bottom, it runs very slowly and even hung my computer.
2. Very little instructions in usage. The "download pictures" from the menu bar didn't work, but the graphic icon in the ribbon did.
3. Couldn't download photos that weren't part of a set that I could see. It may be there, but it's not intuitive and I don't have time to play with a fickle program that keeps hanging my laptop.
4. Tries to automatically install toolbars
5. Since installing, my Windows Explorer (the core part of the OS) keeps crashing.
DO NOT INSTALL
"Won't run. My DirectX is 10 & it requires 9 or above?"
Version: Pictomio 1.2.35
Can't find out - it won't run. It did install flawlessly.
Error says I have DirectX 10.0 installed, but this program requires DirectX 9.0 or above and recommends I get the new version of DirectX. If I have 10 and it needs 9 or above, how can I get anything newer than 9 to satisfy it?
Programmers need to make compatible with Windows 7 64 bit with DirectX 10.0.
"Easy to use."
Version: Pictomio 1.2.35
Very easy help information and a breeze.
No big con's to mention.