CNET Editors' review
It's a sickening feeling when you realize you've forgotten an important password, especially when it's a password for something that doesn't have a password recovery feature. Passware Kit is a powerful program that can help recover unknown passwords, but it comes at a price, both in terms of money and time.
The program's interface is sleek and attractive, with its major features displayed on a home screen. Users can choose to recover a file password, recover Internet and network passwords, reset the Windows administrator password, or search the computer for protected files. We tried the program with several types of Microsoft Office documents, and it worked fine, as far as we could tell. Short, easy passwords were recovered quickly, but passwords that were a mix of numbers and letters exceeded the maximum search time of one minute for the trial version of the software; the last recovery we tried was estimated to take five days. This isn't necessarily a bad thing--the program uses several different methods to recover passwords, and they're quite thorough--but be aware that password recovery probably won't be instantaneous. We didn't have much luck recovering passwords from Web sites or our network, and the program's Help file didn't go into much detail about the various features. Overall, Passware Kit has potential, but users will want to carefully evaluate the trial version before deciding to purchase.
Passware Kit is free to try. The program installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program to all users.
Passware Kit recovers all kinds of lost or forgotten passwords for the office application files, including Excel, Word, Windows 2003, XP, 2K, or NT, RAR, WinZip, Access, Outlook, Acrobat, Quicken, WordPerfect, VBA, 1-2-3, ACT, Paradox, Organizer, Schedule, WordPro and more. All versions of MS Office are supported including the most resent Office 2003. Passware Kit can recover passwords for opens; write reservations, workbooks and worksheets, templates and documents, Personal Folders files, form designs, databases and access user accounts.
More Products to Consider
- Recover lost and forgotten passwords for Office documents and a...
- Recover lost passwords for Microsoft Word and Excel files.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Restore lost passwords to files created in any version of Micro...
- Recover lost and forgotten passwords for office files and VBA p...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Get the latest antivirus updates.
- Get updated virus pattern files.
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Update Norton virus definitions and antivirus products.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Check your system for Windows vulnerabilities.
- Unlock Excel files and decrypt their content.
- Hide, lock, and password protect any files.
- Keep your business safe when e-mailing or going online.
- Break Excel password protection safely.
- Drag the cursor over the hidden asterisk password to reveal it.
- Find and remove specific viruses from your PC.
- Search and analyze password-protected documents.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Beats all other recovery programs, hands down!"
Version: Passware Kit Basic 10.5.3139
Easy interface, fast fast fast recovery of Office Program passwords.
None I can think of. The $50 price is a good value considering the lost time saved.
I don't know how it works, but this program unlocks files where others must use the brute force method. It took me seconds on a Word file, while another was 24 hrs into it with no hope of recovery anytime soon (It turned out the password was 12 characters).