CNET Editors' review
PalCrypt is a free, bare-bones file encryption and decryption program. Though the user interface didn't knock our socks off, it proved to be a competent file privacy program.
The program's initial user interface is tiny and offers three buttons for encrypting and decrypting files, and for online support. The online support button did indeed take us to the publishers Web site, but the underutilized forum didn't offer a lot of information for the novice user. When we selected the encryption button, we selected the file, entered a password, and select the encryption method. PalCrypt gives you three encryption options--MD5, SHA1, and Blowfish. Our file was immediately encrypted. When we tried to access it, we were asked to enter our password, and the file was decrypted, though it left the original encrypted file.
More experienced users are probably going to want more encryption options, including deleting the source file and choosing the directory for the encrypted file, but the programs simple design will appeal to those new to file encryption. Though we were able to successfully uninstall the program, it did leave an empty folder in our program files.
Palcrypt is a file encryption/decryption program for Microsoft Windows. It's very easy to use since it completely integrates into the Windows shell. Palcrypt is pretty quick too, especially when it comes to encrypting/decrypting really big files. Palcrypt supports a lot of cryptographic algorithms to achieve the best file protection, including AES 128-bit, Bowfish, RC5, MD5, SHA-1.
What's new in this version: Version 188.8.131.52: new encryption algorithms added.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- List files available for launching and view the description of ...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Automate the renaming of files in a simple and straightforward ...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Splits files up to 4GB into smaller ones.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect folders, hide files, lock applications, and restrict ac...
- Keep track of your time with this simple program.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"May have a virus or trojan"
Version: Palcrypt 184.108.40.206.2018
Appears to work.
14 of the scanners at VirusTotal indicate the palupd.exe has a virus or torjan.
I'm staying with Axcrypt.
14 of the scanners at VirusTotal indicate that palupd.exe has a virus or torjan.
Updated on Mar 9, 2010
(corrected for grammar)
Updated on Mar 9, 201014 of the scanners at VirusTotal indicate that palupd.exe has a virus or trojan.
(One last try)
"The very easiest way to encrypt files with an unbreakable algorithm"
Version: Palcrypt 220.127.116.11 build 2018
I think there is a bug in the installer but this is fixed in the current build. Visit the author website for more details.