CNET Editors' review
If you're not already a pro at using the command line, OnyX is a solid choice for conducting routine maintenance and tweaking the interface on your Mac. This free utility shares much of the functionality of applications like Cocktail (which its help files suspiciously resemble), and it can help you with everything from checking SMART status on your disks to configuring the Dock, Finder, and Dashboard and Expose to your liking.
OnyX can even help you run Unix utilities, change your desktop to an animated background, and unlock hidden functions in apps like Safari and iTunes. As with all OS-tinkering applications of this kind, most features work most of the time, but your mileage may vary when it comes to effectiveness and stability--so buyer beware (especially given that OnyX doesn't cost anything). This version will only work with Snow Leopard, so check out earlier versions if you're using an older version of Mac OS X.
From Titanium's Software:
OnyX is a multifunction utility that enables you to verify the startup volume and the structure of its system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Spotlight, and some of the Apple-owned applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more.
What's new in this version:
- Bug when launching the application corrected
- Bug when displaying the Help corrected
More Products to Consider
- Multifunctional utility for Mac OS X.
- Maintenance, optimization and system personalization tool.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- (Snow Leopard Edition) general purpose system modify/repair uti...
- Get a file compression and archive tool.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- (Lion Edition) general purpose system modify/repair utility.
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- Create DMG files automatically from makefile or Xcode.
- Data recovery software.
- Enjoy a clean and tidy Macintosh.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Find duplicates on any folder, hard disk or network very quickl...
- Monitor and perform maintenance tasks on your Mac.
- Give UNIX and DOS command-line application ports GUI attributes...
- Helps turn on/off the Dock Expose in Snow Leopard.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 359 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"An Essential For Dealing With Gremlins"
Version: OnyX (Snow Leopard) 2.4.0
Instead of suffering through Google searches for error type ????, I have Onyx do the heavy lifting for me.
Unfortunately, some of the problems return, and I have to run Onyx again.
Life could be worse...