If you like the interface of the Mac OS but are stuck using a Windows machine, this little app from Stardock can help--if only very slightly. The premise behind ObjectDock is very simple: it adds an animated, Mac-inspired dock to your desktop that provides easy access to useful shortcuts and serves to replace your taskbar (if you so choose).
The ObjectDock install is quick and light, and the program is extremely easy to set up. A simple settings menu lets you choose how many items you want on the dock, where it is positioned, and whether you want zoom enabled. You can also adjust the size, style, and color as well as set it to autohide or remain on top.
In addition, the free version of ObjectDock includes various "docklets" (Stardock's term for widgets) that can provide quick access to weather, time, and so on. For even more features, there's an option to upgrade to the Plus version for $9.99. It includes the ability to add multiple docks, creates tabbed docks in Windows 7 and 8, and offers improved task switching.
ObjectDock is designed to add style, organization, and function to your Windows experience. Place your favorite web links, program shortcuts and information widgets on this fun, animated and easy-to-use dock. Additional docklets provide quick access to weather, time, and other useful information. A new UI allows users to choose from a number of styles and special effects for a custom experience. The free version has only one dock (Plus version adds capability to have multiple docks, adds Tabbed docks, System Tray support and skin recoloring).
What's new in this version:
- Icon reflections;
- Background blur-behind (Vista/Win7 only);
- Brand new User Interface and revamped menus;
- Now displays all running programs in your dock, allowing for pinning & unpinning ("Show Applications" mode);
- For new users, automatically imports your quicklaunch icons (XP/Vista) or pinned taskbar icons (Windows 7) into your dock;
- Mouseover effects previously only available in Plus now available in free version (Zoom, Swin... See all new features »