CNET Editors' review
Nitro's new free PDF reader takes the key features that you want in a PDF reader, a familiar interface, and smooth functionality and combines them into an eminently usable program that doesn't get in between you and your documents. Nitro has turned the free PDF alternative business model on its ear by providing you with a smart selection of watermark-free editing, drag-and-drop PDF creation, and tabbed PDF reading.
To put it mildly, the feature set is robust. Users can comment on PDFs using notes and text markup, fill out forms, print to PDF, or create one by dragging an existing document into Nitro, share and comment with others, and securely sign a document. This may sound like standard PDF boilerplate, but it's important to emphasize given that they're all free here, and they all work well. The search utility isn't bad, although it would be nice to see Windows 7-style federated in-document searching. The drag-and-drop took a few seconds to begin once initiated, but overall converting a four-page Word document took about 2 minutes. The highlight tool will switch automatically from box highlighting to character highlighting, depending on whether you start highlighting in an empty space or over some text. Nitro sports a ribbon-style interface borrowed from the previously released paid version of Nitro. This may still frustrate some users, but it feels slick and connected to Microsoft Office. If you don't like or need the ribbon, you can hide it with an arrow that lives to the left of the search engine. You can also customize the ribbon, placing your most commonly accessed tools where you need them.
In testing, Nitro's functionality kept pace with its comprehensive toolset. When you install it, it will ask if you want to contribute anonymous usage data. Users are opted in automatically, so if you don't like contributing don't install on autopilot. Nitro PDF Reader Free does more by default than any free PDF reader currently available, does precisely what it advertises, and does it unobtrusively, rocketing it to the top of the PDF pack.
From Nitro PDF Software:
Nitro PDF Reader allows you to create PDF files from over 300 different formats. Comment, review, and collaborate. Fill and save PDF forms. Extract text and images. Add a scanned image of your signature and use QuickSign to electronically sign and return documents in seconds. Nitro Reader utilizes the Microsoft Office-style Ribbon interface, The Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) allows you to create an easily accessible group of shortcuts to the tools you use most frequently. Nitro Reader offers navigation panes, including Pages, Bookmarks, Comments, Output, Signatures, and Attachments, allowing for easy navigation of larger documents, and providing a central location for additional content.
What's new in this version: Version 22.214.171.124 includes various fixes and stability improvements.
More Products to Consider
- Create and collaborate on PDF files with this free reader for 6...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- View, edit, and print PDF documents on your PC.
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert Adobe PDF file to MS Word file format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- View and print PowerPoint presentations.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Open, view, print, and convert PDF document on Windows 8 deskto...
- Create, view, edit and share word, spreadsheet and presentation...
- Create a new RSS feed from several others.
- Convert files to PDF format and convert PDF files to Word forma...
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Create, view, edit, and compile PL/SQL and Java code.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Create, markup, and edit PDF files with OCR and Revu CAD techno...
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Create, edit, view, and print CAD drawings.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Create your own CAD program and export and import files in any ...
- Create, edit, put watermark, and convert PDF files on your Wind...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 195 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"A Fantastic PDF reader & Creator"
Version: Nitro PDF Reader (32-bit) 126.96.36.199
1) Multi-page display
2) Wonderful quick sign
3) Type text on the spot
4) Can split into small pdf files
So far no problems discovered yet
If it's the best but at least one of the best pdf reader bcos it's free!If it's not the best but at least is one of the best pdf reader which can create pdf files smaller in size than MS xps document writer.
Updated on May 15, 2013
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content